The ER Waiting Room

I walked into the house and found Matt, crying, sitting on the couch in the living room. I walked over and sat on the couch next to him. He pulled me close to him and gave me a big hug.

"Dad, why are you crying?" I asked him as he let me go a little bit.

"I'm just so happy."

"I take it Andy called."

"Yes. Did you tell him to call me?"

"Yeah. What did he say?"

"That he loves me and wants to get to know me better. He even told me he was glad that your mom married me. He wanted to tell me to tell you that he'll call you back sometime tonight."

"I'm so proud of him. Did you know he's only used once in the last 3 days? I think that's a new record for him, since he got started."

"I never realized how serious his addiction is. I wish I would have sent him to some kind of rehab center."

"I'm kind of glad you didn't, I liked having him around, even though we never really talked."

"I liked having him around too. Every time he walked into the house, even when he was high, your eyes would light up."

"He's my big brother, I'm always happy to see him. I can't wait for him to come back."

"Neither can...I" Matt started to sound short of breath, but I wasn't sure why at the time.

"Dad are you okay?"

"No. Call an ambulance." Matt started to rub his right shoulder and arm.

"Why?"

"Just do it."

I was starting to get really worried. I quickly dialed 911 and got on the phone with an operator. Matt was telling me what to say. The operator told me an ambulance was on its way. After the ambulance arrived, paramedics came in and got Matt on a gurney. I was able to ride with Matt in the ambulance on the way to the ER. The ER nurse had me sit in the waiting room, and call anyone that I thought needed to be here with me. My mind immediately traveled to Andy, but what could he do from Montana? So I called Mr. and Mrs. Jackson to meet me at the ER, since they were like family to Matt and me. Then I called pastor Jeff and Amy so they could get hold of others to pray for Matt.

Mr. and Mrs. Jackson arrived just as I got off the phone with Amy. "Amelia, have you heard anything yet?" Mrs. Jackson asked me right away.

"No. I keep asking the receptionist, but she won't tell me anything. There's a bunch of paperwork that needs to be filled out, but I'm not old enough to fill it out myself, and Mom is probably off somewhere getting drunk." I was crying and probably hard to understand.

"Don't worry, Matt gave us permission to fill out any paperwork if an emergency were to happen. Can you tell us what happened?" Mr. Jackson asked.