o n e

I checked the clock again

1:31

"He's late." I said.

Padmé looked at me with a bored expression.

"Verena, it's been one minute. I know you still don't like this idea, but you have to give him a chance."

"I haven't even spoken to him, what makes you think I wouldn't?" I responded, sarcasm evident in my voice.

"I know you Verena." She gave me a different look this time, one telling me to watch myself. I simply sighed out loud.

I heard my communication droid, C-8TR speaking to someone in the foyer, that must be him. I rose to meet him and looked down in an attempt to fix my skirt.

When I looked back up, my breath hitched. I didn't expect him to look so handsome. I certainly didn't expect him to be so young either, he looked only a few years older than I.

I decided to close my slightly opened mouth so I didn't look like a total fool and made my way to greet him.

He noticed me walking towards him and moved to meet me in the middle, extending his gloved hand.

"Verena"

"Anakin"

On the inside my heart hammered at his voice, but on the outside I kept my cool and smiled politely. I turned to sit back on the couch as Padmé introduced herself. I exhaled the breath I didn't realize I was holding and tried to regain my composure.

"Verena originally was opposed to this idea and from what I heard so were you." Padmé attempted to start light conversation.

"Well this being my very first mission as a Jedi knight, I wasn't exactly opposed to it, I was just nervous about not having my master."

"So you've never been without your master before?" I was shocked to say the least. I finally agree to this and they send me a newbie.

Anakin looked offended by my question, "Well yes, but I'm very prepared and the youngest member on the council. So I'd say I'm well equipped to protect you mi'lady."

My heart fluttered when he addressed me formally, but I acted unaffected.

"That's reassuring."

I toned down the sarcasm so he wouldn't notice, but Padmé knew me too well and picked up on it.

"Venera, don't be rude. Anakin I'm sorry, she doesn't believe she needs a guard, even after her assassination attempt." Padmé rolled her eyes and looked at me.

"No it's quite alright." Anakin replied smiling at her, not removing his eyes from her figure. I narrowed my eyes slightly.

Did he like her?

Padmé did mention that they were long time friends, but perhaps their relationship was more than what she was willing to admit.

I snapped myself put of my thoughts, I need to give up my fruitless fantasies, he was a Jedi, he couldn't have any distractions.

Besides the fact that I just met the guy.

What if he was a virgo?

Padmé sat up from her spot on the couch, "Well I must be going, the Wookies are warring again and other systems are being affected. The chancellor wishes to hold a meeting."

I was confused, "Why wasn't I informed about this?" I would have assumed that with my new position they would have wanted to brief me on current problems.

"We decided you should get to know Anakin first, after all, he is going to be protecting you for a while. I'll fill you in on the details later." And with that she walked out the door, leaving me with Anakin.

Knowing I wasn't going to get out of this, I decided I should probably get to know him if were to be together for the next month or so.

"So where are you from?" I internally cringed at the simpleness of the question.

Anakin didn't seem to care, "I used to live on Tatooine until my master found me."

"Tatoonie? Sounds rough." I joked, attempting to ease the tension.

He looked sad and I realized it probably wasn't the best thing to say.

"Yea I hated it, but now I look back at the simplicity of it all and I miss it." He looked sad for a moment, but then spoke again. "So where are you from?"

"I was born here on Coruscant, my parents were both politicians. I guess I picked up my love for it from them." I answered.

"I always assumed that politicians were supposed to be stuck up old
people, not pretty young ladies with a love for sarcasm." He smiled and then began to blush when he realized he had just called me pretty.

I blushed along with him, he finds me attractive too.

Due to dedicating my life to politics, I'd never been with someone before, nor had anyone ever flirted with me, so the act of compliments were a foreign subject.

"I-I'm sorry mi'lady, I didn't mean it, it just slipped out." He explained, attempting to limit his embarrassment.

My smile dropped, I guess he didn't mean it.

"No it's quite alright Anakin." I replied coldly, the one time someone compliments my appearance and they take it back, of course.

As if sensing the awkwardness in the air, Anakin's com link buzzed with an incoming message. He grabbed it from somewhere in his robes and pressed a button.

A marbled voice came through it, I couldn't understand what it was saying, but apparently Anakin did.

He spoke into it, "Ok Master, I'll be there as soon as possible."

He put the com link back into his robes and looked at me.

"Looks like we're going to the Jedi temple."