e i g h t

Anakin somehow managed to sneak out of the hospital just before I was released.

Padmé picked me up and then took me home.

But when we arrived at my apartment, I barely recognized it.

Almost every inch was covered with baby clothes, toys, machines, equipment, furniture, and diapers, lots of diapers.

"Oh my god, Padmé. What is this?" I whispered, turning to look at her with tears in my eyes.

"Oh just a little something I organized with some other Senators," she smiled brightly at me, "we know it can be difficult to be a single mother, so we thought we'd pitch in." she added solemnly.

I almost corrected her, I'm not a single mother, but I bit my tongue and realized that that was the role I was going to have to play to ensure Anakin's safety.

I nodded my head, pretending to agree with her words.

"It's going to be hard, but with all of the support I have, I'll be just fine," I gave Padmé a watery smile, hoping to drive my point home.

"Do you know who the father is?" She asked tentatively.

"Yea," I whispered, "he's a pilot, we met on Naboo and then ran into each other again on Coruscant," I explained, proud of myself for coming up with a lie so quickly.

"Oh, does he know?"

"About Adira? Yes, but he didn't take it well, so here we are," I shrugged, hoping that if Padmé felt bad enough for me she would stop asking so many questions.

"Oh, I'm sorry love, he's a douche if he doesn't want to be in her life," she said, smiling down at Adira as she lightly touched her cheek.

"Thank you Padmé, for everything, really."

"Of course Verena, what are friends for?" she smiled sweetly, "now let's set some stuff up!"

• • •

We managed to build the crib, dresser, and changing table and place them in my room.

All of the piles of baby clothes went into the drawers and the diapers went under the changing table.

Adira's crib was white with pink and grey bedding and looked almost as adorable as she did.

She cooed and giggled up at her droid mobile hanging over her crib when I set her down for a nap.

Padmé had put all of the food in the kitchen and was cleaning up trash when a knock at the door sounded.

I wasn't expecting anyone and I knew it wasn't Anakin because he usually just let himself in.

Padmé opened the door as she was already in the living room.

I peeked my head out of my bedroom and saw Anakin standing in the doorway looking serious.

"Oh hello Senator Amidala, is Senator Leoet here?" he asked emotionlessly.

His demeanor was confusing and odd but I made my way to the living room anyway.

"Master Skywalker? Can I help you?" I asked, trying to sound as professional as possible.

"Ah Senator, I just came to congratulate you on your baby and inform you that I will be resuming the position of your Jedi protector as soon as your maternity leave is over," he stated, his face stoic and unamused.

"Oh have you seen her yet? Adira?" Padmé asked.

"No I haven't," Anakin answered her.

"Oh she's absolutely adorable, come see her," Padmé practically skipped to my bedroom, leading Anakin.

I quirked my brow at him and smirked as he walked past me.

His arms were connected behind his back but he suddenly reached out with his left hand and lightly tapped my butt in a teasing manner.

I jumped in surprise as my cheeks turned red.

I glared at his back as he walked away from me and into my bedroom.

I stomped after him and Padmé, following them to my daughters crib.

Padmé was already looking down at her and inviting Anakin to join her when I entered.

"She's adorable isn't she?" Padmé asked, completely infatuated with my giggling baby.

"She is," Anakin replied curtly, a small smile playing at his lips.

I joined them and leaned on the railing of the crib.

Adira looked up at all of us and laughed, her bright eyes twinkling.

Padmé awwed, but her infatuation didn't last long.

Adira began fussing and then started crying.

"I think she needs to be changed," I stated to no one, picking her up and placing her on the changing table.

"Oh that's my queue to leave," Padmé rushed out.

Anakin kept his distance and watched me change her diaper.

Knowing Padmé was still in earshot, Anakin kept up the charade.

"So do you know who the father is?" he asked innocently, a smirk on his lips.

"Some douchebag pilot!" Padmé yelled from the living room as she started picking up trash again.

"Some douchebag pilot." Anakin repeated slowly, so only I could hear it, still smirking at me.

I narrowed my eyes, telling him to watch it.

He raised his hands in defense before crossing them over his chest again.

"Well if Adira looks anything like him then he must be handsome," Anakin raised his voice so Padmé could hear.

I turned around from changing Adira abruptly.

I was about to slap him when Padmé re entered my bedroom.

"Oh he's got to be, for Verena to sleep with him he must be a god among men," Padmé answered dreamily.

Anakin quirked his eyebrows at me and smirked after hearing Padmé's answer, "God among men," he mouthed, pointing to himself with his thumb.

I shook my head and narrowed my eyes again, trying to warn him that he was on thin ice.

"Well, it is late, I should be going," Anakin said, walking out of my bedroom and to the door.

Padmé trailed behind to see him out and say goodbye.

"Well everything is set up so I should probably get going too," Padmé called out from the living room.

I set Adira down in her crib before walking out of my room to see Padmé off.

I made my way to her and enveloped her in a hug.

"Thank you again, I really appreciate this," I said, still hugging her.

"It's no problem, really, if you ever need help, I'm just a call away." Padmé said before pulling away from the hug and smiling at me.

She walked over to the door and I made sure to beat her to it so I could hold it open.

"Bye Padmé," I waved.

"Goodbye Verena, and goodnight," she called back.