Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Ruruka's pov

7 years old:

The kids were all laughing and playing and having a good time. I clenched the soft animal fur blanket that had my name on it, in one tiny fist while the other was holding the necklace around my neck. I timidly walked down the stairs and the children all stopped.

They all just stared. I quickly walked past them into the playground in nothing but a pair of sweatpants and a t shirt. I sat in the snow, as far away from the orphanage as possible, and just cried. My shaggy black hair was getting soaked, my feet already red from being barefooted but it wasn't as painful as being isolated. To be ignored.

I held the blanket tightly to my chest, the only thing besides the necklace that I had in memory of my mommy. Where was my daddy? Didn't he want me? I played with the necklace which immediately stopped the tears. I just sat in a fetal position with my head on my knees, looking out into the woods.

After a while, I stood up slowly as I felt eyes on me. I was beginning to walk into the woods when one of the lady's that work in the orphanage called me.

"Honey, don't go roaming into the woods. C'mon sweetheart." She walked over to me and noticed I wasn't wearing much.

"Honey, why aren't you bundled up?! You can get sick!" She picked me up and I wrapped my arms around her neck. She was mostly the only one I trusted through my time living here. Her name was Zanaisa and she was very young. She had ebony skin, glasses, braids and was a bit tall. We walked back inside, avoiding the kids stares as they whispered amongst themselves.

She went up the stairs, down the hall to my room. She sat me down on the bed and tried to find clean and warmer clothes. I sat there and stared at the blanket I was holding, now wet from the snow. I looked to the mirror on my left and I looked horrible. My blue eyes were rimmed red from crying, my black, shoulder length hair was soaked, and my pale skin looked even more pale. I'm starting to get sick, I realized.

"That's what happens when you keep going outside in the cold without anything warm." Zanaisa butted in. I shrugged and took off my shirt and pants, leaving me in my batman undies.

"I needed to be alone." I mumbled gently. I never really speak because there was no use. No one talked to me and when Zanaisa does, I just speak quietly. She nodded in understanding and grabbed my hand, taking me into the bathroom. She closed the door and put a hot bubble bath on for me.

I stripped out of my underwear and climbed in, relaxing in the water. This is another way to calm me down, taking a hot bubble bath. She undressed and climbed in with me but i didn't mind. i loved the company, but only her company. if anyone else tried to offer when shes absent, I just shake my head and don't bathe that night.

She grabbed those poofy things where you scrub yourself with and put soap on it. She cleaned my back, arms, legs, toes, and chest. I do the same to her. We both don't mind. Girls don't interest me and we both know it. As we clean each other, I had to ask her the billionth time.

"Why do people hate me?" But she gives the same answer every time. I don't understand why I keep asking if I know what the answer will be but I just keep asking.

"They dont hate you. Its just because they can sense that you're very special." She says and smiles down at me. I nod and play with my necklace a bit.

"You know..." I looked up at her and she began speaking again. " I have pictures of what your mother looks like. Me and her use to be kind of close." My eyes snapped to hers as she stared back at me.

"I wanna see her." I mumbled to Zanaisa. "May I?" She nodded.

"I'll show you after dinner and when I finish drying your blanket." She said. I nodded and hugged her to me. She was the best person in the world. She got up and dried herself off. I got up and she wrapped a towel around me, drying me and ruffling my hair. She giggled when it stuck up in different places.

She put our towels around us and folded in the side so it wouldn't fall off when we were walking. We walked into my room and I dressed myself in warm pjs while she put on a nightgown. After that, we walked down to eat.

An hour or two of children glaring and secretly throwing peas at me, I ran to my room and waited for Zanaisa to come to pick me up. I was a bit nervous. What does my mommy look like? Did I look like her or my father?

Zanaisa walked in and grabbed my hand, walking all the way to the third floor and took out a key, opening the attic. I squeezed her hand in anticipation and she squeezed back, reassuring me that it will be okay. We climbed up and even though it was dusty, it was really roomy. She took out a small box and we sat down, making ourselves comfortable.

She opened it and there were a lot of pictures. I sat on my knees as she took all of them out and spread them. Lots and lots of pictures of strangers I didn't know besides Zanaisa. All of them were the same people in each picture. But I noticed the lady in the middle, in every picture, her belly growing bigger. One of them caught my eye, the same beautiful women, by herself smiling, looking at the camera. Her black, flowing hair, long in back of her. Her blue eyes shined with happiness as she cradled her round belly. I grabbed it and stared at it for a while.

"That was the last picture she took before she passed." Zanaisa stated. I nodded numbly and put it in my pocket, savoring it.

I looked at different ones, as Zanaisa told me stories of each one. We shared laughs and giggles when she would tell me something wild. I saw longing and sadness but also happy in her eyes. We both missed my mother. We hugged each other and a few hours later, it was way past my bedtime.

We walked to my room, tucking me in and kissing my forehead. As she left, I grabbed the picture and kissed it, putting it under my pillow. I held my blanket and necklace to me.

"Goodnight mommy."