Chapter 13; Jackson's Pack

He couldn't bounce back from this, the butcher's knife cut half through his neck. Penny's mate climbed out from underneath him and shifted back.

"You killed him, Phoenix." He said to me.

I slowly nodded. "It needed to be done if I wanted to escape here alive."

"I'm Winston." He stuck his hand out for me to grab.

I gave him a light scowl. "Nice to meet you Winston..."

"I didn't think we'd know each their long enough to bother you with my name." He mumbled.

"Well it looks like we will be friends for awhile now." I gave him the best smile I could muster up.

He nodded and glance at Jackson's motionless body.

"He has to be dead." I uttered. "However in my gut I still feel like he's going to recover, and hunt me down."

Winston shook his head and sighed. "That bastard is finally dead, I don't think anyone can recover from a butcher's knife to the neck."

I shrugged and merely glanced at Jackson's brown fur. "He's one of a kind." I said with disgust.

We both stood silently for a moment looking at Jackson's dead body. Was his pack going to kill me or rejoice that they're free from his iron grip? They're rogues Jackson had given them a meaning and accepted their faults.

"We need to get going, my friend will be meeting up with us." I told Winston.

"Who?"

"Jameson." I stated blankly.

"Let me guess a lover gone...-"

"A friend." I cut him off with a glare.

"Ok, but why would he be meeting up with us?" Winston asked. "How does he fit into this equation?"

"Jameson made me a deal, if I killed Jackson he'd get me out of here and take me to David. Away from werewolves, take me back to a normal teenage girl's life." I explained.

Winston gave me a hard look, his eyes looked deep into mine. "And you'd think Axel won't track you down? He's the king, he will find you."

"I'm not going to take the deal." I muttered. "As much as I have crave to see my younger brother, I must kill Axel first."

Winston grinned and his eyes seemed to perk up. "Now that's what I'm talking about, let's get going before Jackson's pack finds this."

I nodded in agreement. "Differently, I don't think we could take on a pack of viscous rogues."

We both trudged away from Jackson's body that I still feared would stand up. It's too hard to believe that I had killed Jackson, he's like a parasite that can't die but by the looks of it...- he finally did.

Quickly we dashed into the woods, dispersing before a wolf spotted us and tracked our scent. I followed behind Winston who sped ahead of me.

"Wait, Winston don't forget about my friend."

He halted and took in a deep breath. "What time did you say he arrives in the woods every night?" He asked.

"When the sunsets, he travels in the shadows of the trees that shielded him from view."

Winston sighed and surveyed our surroundings. "Lets go at least a mile deeper into the woods, I'll make sure Jameson finds us." He told me while kneeling down by a mud puddle.

He dug his hands into the brown sludge and rubbed it along his clothes and face, covering his scent.

"Soak yourself in the mid otherwise they'll  end up picking up Jackson's blood on you." Winston applied some to his hair, and pants before standing back up.

I didn't argue as I soaked my shirt and pants in the mud along with my face and hair, masking Jackson's blood.

"Don't forget your neck, they will smell Axel's scent and know it's you." He mumbled.

I nodded and grabbed a handful and smacked it on my neck.

"Now let's go." Winston began picking up his pace as we ran deeper into the woods. For once I successfully escaped from Jackson, this marks a new chapter in my life. I'm no longer putting my trust into anyone else besides myself, for all I know Winston could have lied about being Penny's mate for his own personal gain.

We ambled into the position where we'd find Jameson, he promised to meet me here however I couldn't bring him Jackson's head...- I'm surprised enough that I cut his neck.

"In a few more minutes.....-"

"Phoenix?" A distant voice inquired.

Our heads perked up, I ambled towards the voice to see Jameson sauntering closer to us. His eyes widened as he realized why I was here.

"Is that bastard dead?" He asked with a raise of an eyebrow.

I nodded. "From what I could tell, he's dead."

Jameson raked a hand through his hair in disbelief. "I can't even picture you killing him....- where's his head?"

"I barely had enough strength to thrust the knife through his neck, let alone chop his head off."

Jameson averted his eyes off of me and gazed past me to Winston. "Who is he?"

"A prisoner that I met, he's penny's mate, if you know who she is." I explained. "For all I know he could be lying however he has helped."

He nodded and scanned Winston down, surveying his motions and facial expressions. Jameson put extra thought into trusting the man who could have lied in his favor.

"I'll take you to David however, Winston can't follow. The last thing you need is wolves following you to your last family." Jameson told me as he kept his eyes plastered on Winston.

"I'm not going to see David yet, I'm destroying every wolf that has done me wrong. For the sake of Xidan, the man I should of been more faithful to, he deserves justice to the other men who took me from him." I explained to Jameson, his eyes slid to mine with concern.

"I wronged him Phoenix." He mumbled.

"I'm overlooking you, Jameson...-" I paused and motioned my hands between us. "...- this was my fault too."

Winston spoke up. "I'm going back to Axel as well to my beloved, now either you two can chat until Jackson's rogue pack finds us or you can talk on the way to the Alpha King."

Jameson sighed and nodded in agreement. "Let's get moving."

I glanced behind me, unable to see through the thick trees and bushes, but I knew Jackson's pack was behind us. My gut burned with anxiety knowing Jackson can't be dead, and if he's alive....- I might as well look forward to meeting up with Xidan again.