Chapter 18; Damage from the inside-out

The two days pasted like two hours, maids entered my room with gloom filled gazes, they knew how much I dreaded this ceremony. Their rough hands grazed against my arms as they attempted to sit me up without any pain.

I pushed their hands away and simply sat up, a burning sensation appeared on my shoulder as I moved it. They watched me as I climbed out of bed on my own.

"Sorry my lady, but we must get this dress on you." One maid spoke up. "We are on a strict schedule, the king wants to marry you as soon as possible."

I gritted my teeth as the silky dress was dragged along my skin then was securely zipped up in the back.

"My lady we have a few heirloom jewelry pieces for you to wear during the ceremony." A maid said as she pulled out velvet boxes. They held bright shimmering pieces within the boxes. As the beautiful pieces wrapped around my neck and arms a chilling sensation appeared around them. All these jewels were from Axel; I itched to yank them off however I just smiled in the mirror pleasing the maids.

"Quite marvelous aren't they, my queen?" An oldish maid inquired with a toothy smile.

"Soon enough you'll be married to the most powerful man in the world." She added, because I hadn't replied to her.

"That no human knows exists." I uttered underneath my breath which she ignored.

The maids folded their arms behind their backs and watched as I stayed gazing into the body mirror. The simple and slick dress hugged my torso then flared off around my bottom. The dress neglected to reach above my breasts. My collarbones seemed to stick out and my shoulders slouched awkwardly. The bandage around my shoulder stood out, it almost looked like the dress clung onto my shoulder.

"Stand up straighter and smile, our lady. Today will be renowned for the werewolves, the Alpha King has settled down with a human!!" They cheered.

I turned towards them and lightly brushed my fingertips down the fabric. "I'm shocked he went for such a simple dress."

A maid smiled. "You'll be beautiful no matter what you're in..- oh here is your bouquet."

My eyes widened as the bright red roses were handed to me. I bit my lips and took the flowers into my hands; I steadied my hands and made sure they couldn't tell my hands were shaking. He knew he was going to be killed, but then again I had bluntly told him of my plans, like a typical cartoon criminal. Roses are red, they seemed to be a symbol of blood.

"You don't want to be late, you shall be on your way otherwise he'll get quite angry." A maid with brown curly hair said with a too calm voice.

I sauntered past them and sucked in a deep breath before exiting the bedroom. My heart began to pound with each step I took. Servants and guards halted in their places and bowed longer than usual. One guard even took the liberty of calling me 'queen'. I restrained from cringing at the word.

The dining room doors came into view. My shoulder began to burn as I slouched it and moved it nervously. I moved in front of the white doors, my heart seemed to be pounding out of my chest. I took another deep breath before shoving both the doors open.

I paused to see an empty room with Axel standing at an alter. He stood with his arms folded behind his back and a matching virgin white suit. The priest made sure Axel was watching me instead of paying attention to him, so he could motion me on.

My feet seemed heavy on the marble as I took in my surroundings. People- wolfs, should be watching Axel's first and final marriage? Where were they?

He held his hand out for me as I went to walk up the three steps up to him. Instead of pushing his hand away I took it and walked up the steps. Axel hadn't smiled or even seemed fazed by this marriage, he was strangely silent as the priest began.