Chapter 21; Lab Rat

Against my will, I was discharged from the hospital then forced to the forensics lab. To no avail the scientists have examined every bite scar on my neck, and my blood they received from my stab wound. All the tests confirm I had been 'attacked' by a mutant wolf. However the doctors state I was clearly stabbed in the chest and shoulder blade. The knife missed my heart by a hair. I only nicked a blood vessel, but nothing a mere surgery couldn't fix. A cast for a week and stitches healed my shoulder back to its former glory.

The red blood cells that Axel used to try to revive me, are now in the hands of humans. The operation on my wound only lead them to discover his white blood cells' healing wonders. They questioned me day after day while I recovered, whose blood had been smeared on me. It would be a miracle for mankind if we could get ahold of these healing properties.

I sucked in a deep breath of the latex gloves of the scientists. They finally left my scars alone and allowed me to relax. Multiple test tubes laid on the countertops and were filled to the top with my blood. Now they've turned to testing the blood in my body. An IV was jammed into my vain and I watched the blood ooze down the thin, plastic tube.

"Phoenix, I know we are giving you a breather, but do you have any idea what tried to heal you?" A woman asked. She wore dark green correction glasses and a ponytail to pull her hair out of her face.

I sighed and moved my eyes back to my blood in the tube. "You're draining me dry, for what? To figure out the DNA of the white blood cells?" I took a deep breath before continuing, and the lady awaited patiently for me to finish. "Look, you'd never believe me, I'd just end up in a mental hospital. But after this month locked in that hospital and this lab, are really convincing me to tell you."

The woman readjusted her glasses before saying anything. She surveyed my answer, and turned back to my bloody test tubes.

I huffed, knowing I was making no process of breaking free of this lab. Axel achieved what he wanted, he kept me alive. However surprisingly he's risking the existence of werewolves to keep me alive. Soon these lab coats will figure out the blood matches no mammal in their biology books.

"Look, science lady, I really need to be released to deal with some personal matters-"

"Like what? Who is waiting for you out there?" She immediately cut me off to gather more information.

I gritted my teeth and balled my fists. I strained my muscles and the needle in my arm became more apparent.

"No one! In case you didn't know, I lost both my parents. My brother lives in another state with my aunt! The only personal matters I'm talking about is straightening myself out!" I snapped at her with a scowl.

"Who are you trying straighten yourself out from?"

I dropped my head and knew there was no winning with scientists. "The devil," I randomly muttered.

"Now everyone has their own burdens and definitions of their own devils, who is your devil Phoenix?" She questioned with same monotone inquiring voice.

"My devil is the inability to escape this earth, and people like you who keep me locked up like some animal experiment," I told her as I lifted my head so our eyes were on the same level.

The woman shook her head and looked at me as if I didn't understand something. "You're missing the most valuable piece to this puzzle, Phoenix. You can return as soon as you tell me whose blood is running through your veins. Small, molecular sized traces of blood are being pumped through your veins of another being," she said seeming more elated as she continued on.

I knew the traces of blood were Axel's blood. Once a werewolf marks it's mate traces of them are left inside of their mate's body. To make their mate carry the wolf's scent it leaves it's small blood cells in their veins to be circulated throughout the body.

"Lady I don't know, I'd have you ask my parents about our blood cells and see if they have those specks too, but sadly they aren't here with us. And not to speak ill of the dead, but they were terrible parents," I inserted a fact of life to the uncaring woman.

She simply shook her head, "I mustn't let you leave until you have answered the question."

"What damn question?!" I asked dreading this retched lab. The male scientist sitting next to her actually turned his eyes off my blood for once. He gazed towards me with a blank stare.

"Whose blood is this? Because we can't find a match for it."

I switched my glare between the both of them. "A werewolf's," I shrugged my shoulders and awaited for their facial expressions. However they just looked at me with the same blank stare, they're eyebrows hadn't even moved.

They turned to each other and the woman sighed in relief. She stood up and sauntered over to me, without saying any words to me. She pulled out my IV and bandaged it up.

"Call him up."

I bunched my eyebrows together in confusion. "Who the hell are you calling?!"

The man grinned and removed his lab coat and pulled out his cellphone. The woman removed her glasses and coat also.

"She finally gave in Alpha, shall we return her to you?" The man said into the phone.

I jumped up from my sit and my eyes widened.

"Yes, the hospital thinks we are going to give them updates on her blood results."

The woman ambled closer to me and grinned, "the act is up, man was too easy to trick you into thinking the Alpha King would just give up his blood. The most powerful wolf has his ways to making sure his people don't get discovered by the humans. No wolf in the packs even know the Alpha King has planted his wolves in the human world to maintain our secrecy."

My eyes widened as I realized Axel has been placing tests on me, "then why the hell have you been draining me?!"

The woman shrugged, "to keep up the act and the Alpha King has requested your blood. Probably to keep for future issues."

The man finally hung up from Axel and turned to us. "He requests we escort her back to castle then take care of the doctors at the hospital," he told the woman.

She nodded and a smile curved up her plump lips. "Thank god we can stop babysitting his mate, and dump her back off with him."

The man turned towards me and grinned. "Oh, and he says he has a surprise awaiting for you at the castle."

My heart dropped, why couldn't god take me when I was drowning in that dark sea.  Xidan was so near, I swear I heard his sweet voice in that sea. To no avail, Axel manages to still keep me next to his side.