Chapter 17; Diagnosis

My eyes groggily opened, the stinging anguish of my shoulder bed ridden me for a week and I still have months of recovering to do. I ached to fight for Jameson who I barely got any updates on, I only got news from maids who pitied me.

With my left arm I reached over and lightly touched the wrapping around my right shoulder. Axel's blood actually ended up clouting the stab wound up to the point no stitches were needed. However because of the silver his blood hadn't healed me, he's tried to force more blood down me however there is no change.

A maid pushed the two big wooden doors open with a meek look. She held a large box, the size of her torso, in her arms. The only time I ever saw a box, a dress was always laying in it with some event coming up; and the events never turned out good for me.

"Phoenix, the Alpha King plans on having the wedding with your shoulder still....- in this state." She told me with pity filled eyes.

I nodded and smirked to myself, Axel seemed to be invincible however after this wedding, when what is his is mine, I can truly destroy him and keep David safe.

She placed the box on the end of the king-sized bed and went to walk away however I called out for her.

"Has Axel said anything to do with David?" I wondered.

The maid simply shook her head. "No, Phoenix. However there is this rumor among the other servants that David has already passed from his illness."

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. "My..- the money was supposed to pay for a doctor's diagnosis...-"

"Hun don't tell him I'm telling you, but he's been keeping tabs on your family this whole time. Eventually he tracked down David and your aunt; he figured out David did indeed get a diagnosis because of Xidan's money. The doctor said he just has asthma, but during field day at his middle school he over exhausted himself and didn't have his inhaler....-"

"Stop, please- David must have been rushed to a hospital?! Wasn't any teachers watching him?!" I yelled enraged with my stomach filling with guilt.

My mouth began to fill with saliva and a bitter taste crawled up my throat, my stomach heaved and I emptied the contains off the side of the bed.

"My dear, I didn't mean to upset you, he was rushed to a hospital but it's unclear if he was released. As I said it's just a rumor among the servants that he was never released or has passed, just a rumor my queen." She back tracked as she looked at my pale face with worry.

"Don't tell him that I upset you, I have a baby girl and a husband." She begged and rambled with worry. "They're the light of my life. I have this position because of them, we can barely pay for our electric bill. I mustn't die, my baby girl still needs me- her name is Delilah, she has most of her father's features..-"

"I won't have you killed." I interrupted her rambling. "After all you gave me a valid update on my dear little brother- with some still unanswered endings, he better be alive."

I held my stomach as it growled from emptiness, however after glancing over the side of the bed suddenly shut it up.

She bowed and smiled at me brightly. "Thank you so very much my lady, I will do anything to make this favor up to you."

I went against my morals which were telling me to let the poor woman off, but for once I'm going to be selfish. "Keep me updated on Axel's movements, I need to be a step ahead of my future husband." I choked on the word 'husband', I could never love that man which is why I plan on destroying him.

She nodded rapidly. "Of course my lady, the date for the wedding will take place within two days, your shoulder will still be in the healing process then."

I nodded and huffed. The maid pushed the dress box closer to me so I could reach it before she left the room.

Weakly I leaned up with pain throbbing in my shoulder and I grasped the edge of the white box. I slid the box open to see a virgin white dress bestowed in the box, it seemed simple and slick. Soon enough it will be stained with Axel's blood.

Two days then I'm set free from the grasp of the werewolf world, since I've been with Xidan I've been trapped in this world. A human doesn't belong in a werewolf dominated world, a human has no strength compared to a wolf. Gently I reached up with my left arm and caressed the bandages again, it stung with each stroke of my fingertips.

A constant reminder I'm not dead, I'm not dying of agony. The grim reaper hasn't touched me unlike my family and friends, death is almost a routine pain within my days. I've witnessed more murders in this world than I think a normal human girl could withstand.

Two servants scurried into the room with a bucket of soapy water and sponges. One grabbed the rug from my bedside and the other got to work scrubbing the puke off the wood floor.

"Sorry to disturb you, my lady however I doubt you like the scent of stomach acid." One spoke up meekly.

I nodded and gave them a thin lipped smile. Too weak to force air through my vocal cords to make sounds like a harp.

They bowed and left leaving me in the bleach scented aroma. I sucked in a deep breath and released it, mentally preparing for the wedding and another murder committed by my hands. However in this state can I weaken him enough to thrust the blade through his heart? I get one chance and only once can I distract him without him knowing my true motives. If my plan executes correctly I'll be a free woman with deaths weighing on her chest, honestly I'll never be free from the doom of the werewolf world. It has already infected me with its darkness like a plague.