Chapter 1

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trust, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails but where there are prophecies, they will never cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

Evelyn's  POV.

There was definitely something wrong with the world. It was like the universe plotted against me or maybe it was my karma to face the human version of hell head on. I had already apologized countless times for drinking from that plastic bottle of water days ago so it could not have been climate change penance.

"Can you at least pretend to look happy to be here and not as though you are plotting murder?" Brandon drawled out coming to a stop beside me.

If only he knew I thought silently as I felt fury singed my veins along with that prickle of awareness that laced my skin whenever I was in the same room with him.

Following the direction of my gaze across the ballroom, Brandon loudly cleared his throat recapturing my attention as I lifted my head to stare into his baby blue eyes filled with humor, "I see the issue." He began saying as he stroked his hairless face wiggling his eyebrows suggestively at me, "If I were a stranger I would have sworn you fancy Italy's contribution to the world but we both know better right?"

Despite myself, I felt the laugh bubble past my lips as I downed the remainder of my champagne, "Italy's contribution to the world?" I questioned quirking my brows at my him, "Hardly."

Shoving his hands into the pockets of his trousers, he graced me with a careless shrug of his wide shoulders as a mischievous smile tugged at his mouth, "You know I can always tell when you are lying right Eve?" He asked as I pointedly broke away from his stare, instead becoming enraptured by the ice sculpture that sat nearby, "Even you have got to admit he is one handsome lad."

"If that is your version of handsome, then who I am to question it?" I asked accepting another flute of the bubbly golden liquid from a passing waiter.

"There is no winning with you is there?" Brandon asked on an exasperated eye roll as he emptied the contents of his own drink.

"You of all people should know the answer to that Bran." I commented as I leant against the iron staircase internally wincing as my feet began to ache reminding me of the twelve different reasons one must break in a pair of Eiffel Tower stilettoes before actually wearing it to an event as such.

"I do." He replied, "But whatever is your reason for hiding at the bottom of the staircase then?" He asked knowingly as his eyes darted towards the figures at the bar.

"I am not hiding." I retorted, "I was admiring the lovely décor." I stated looking around the vast living room of my childhood home that had been turned into a grand ballroom to celebrate the milestone anniversary of my parents.

"Is that so?" He remarked quirking an eyebrow at me, "Then you won't mind a dance...for old time's sakes?" He grinned.

"I would love to." I replied placing the remainder of my drink on the nearby cocktail table.

Of course, as usual nothing ever goes my way. As I placed the flute of champagne down, a little too harshly than was appropriate, my dress caught on the edge of my heel as I leant towards the table for support. As a result, the table as well several other crystal glasses went flying to the floor in a loud clutter of bangs and smashing sounds as I first felt rather than heard the muteness of the room as the band immediately stopped playing and every eye in the room turned my way.

Tampering down the urge to cringe in embarrassment, I lifted my head high gazing impassively at the faces of the guest as my eyes locked, clashing with those twin pairs of obsidian black eyes across the room that looked on at me mockingly. Almost, as tantalizing slowly, his dark gaze drifted down the length of my body inadvertently making my toes curl into the peep toe heel as a shock of electric current zapped through me. A lazy smirk tugged at the corner of his impossibly red mouth as he returned his usual cold eyes settling onto my face. Mouthing an expletive at him, the hint of a smile threatened to break free from his mouth as Brandon came into my line of vision effectively blocking him out.

"Earth to Eve." He snapped as I looked up at him suddenly confused realizing that the band had once again resumed playing as a popular nineties love song crooned softly through the air. The setting was romantic. With a black and white theme, the elite citizens of London came out in nothing but their best I almost choked at the overpowering scent of too much perfume, cologne, silicone and a hint of botox. The Gatsby theme decorations were mirrored throughout with the feathery table pieces and golden drapery as we were taken back in time to when my parents had gotten married. Biting my tongue, I let out an internal laugh as I remembered the admonishment I had gotten from my mother for making the statement.

"I know it's not a club but we can make this floor do." I said to Brand pulling him onto the dance floor through the cluster of smartly dressed bodies.

"What an Eve way to gather attention." He teased leaning down to accommodate our height difference as we both risked a glance to the side as various waiters cleaned up the broken shards of glass.

Cringing, I let out a short laugh as we moved in time to the slow beat trying my best to ignore the stabbing gaze that settled onto my back.

"I much prefer that it was glasses falling of a table rather than Charlotte and I this time round." I said to him as we both laughed at the memory.

"Which time exactly are you referring to?" He questioned through soft fits of laughter.

"The most recent of course." I answered grimacing as I felt the pain resurface from not long ago, "I have the memorable bruising from that night also."

"You are as crazy as you are beautiful." Brandon said laughing against my ear as he twirled me in a dramatic spin. It lasted all of two seconds as I made a complete 360 turn yet the intensity of those dark eyes regarding me was enough to halt my movements of the dance floor.

"Is everything alright?" Brandon questioned.

"I need to use the lady's room." I replied as he escorted me through the throngs of bodies packed tightly onto the middle of the room as an upbeat song started playing. With each stiffening step ahead, it was as though daggers were flung at me at my body prickled in awareness drowning out my surroundings as I willed my feet forward and straightening my spine intent on not to cower.

Leaning against the cool creamy tile walls, I closed my eyes for a moment willing much needed calamity into myself. Washing my hands under the cold water, I felt a brief moment of peace as I dumped the towel into the wicker basket, prepared to once again return to the crowded room.

With one final deep breath, I exited the bathroom almost jumping out of my bones as the scare gave way to heated fury. There was nothing more I wanted to do than return to the solace that awaited me behind the bathroom door as dark eyes caused an involuntary shiver to run through me piercing me with its full force of intensity.

"Evelyn." He remarked in that deep accented voice of his as the line of irritation tracing his soft lips slowly faded away welcoming his trademark smirk.

"Lucas."                                                                                                                            

A/N : Hi guys. I hope you enjoyed the first chapter so far. I'm new at this so I'm hoping to hear from you all soon. Thank you so much in advance :) Be sure to vote, comment and check out 'THEBILLIONAIRE'S ULTIMATUM' 'THE BILLIONAIRE'S ARRANGED WIFE' and 'THE BILLIONAIRE'SCHRISTMAS REVENGE' available on my page.

See you soon

oxoxox... Allison :)