Chapter 3

"She's mad but she's magic. There's no lie in her fire." – Charles Bukowski

Evelyn's POV.

I woke up to an empty room and thankfully a much clearer head. The previous night had been to humiliating to even try to forget so I decided I was not going to think about it. Taking an extended shower, I rested my head against the cool tile walls as the warm water rained down on me. Not thinking about it however was easier said than done as the image of Lucas furious face kept reverting into my memory as he sat beside my bed before drifting off to the blurred image of his flat stomach and washboard abs that could have been used back in the day to scrub clothes on. Turning the water to an arctic cold, I willed myself to gather an ounce of courage. Quickly towel drying my hair, I rummaged through my closet; filled with a few pieces of clothes from my younger years that now I was grateful was kept. Selecting a pair of denim shorts that I was determined to fit into and a now tight fitting Spice Girls t-shirt, I brushed the wet strands of my hair foregoing makeup as I reluctantly descended the staircase already hearing the loud murmurs of conversation traveling through the air as I made my way into the dining room. Dead silence greeted me as everyone halted mid conversation.

"Is there a problem?" I questioned sarcastically accepting the plate filled with eggs and sausages from our long time butler Arthur, "Why are you lot staring at me?"

"Sorry..."

"Morn..."

"Hey Eve." They all mumbled at the same time returning to their breakfast.

"I have no idea what you all are saying but I am absolutely famished." I said accepting the cup of tea as Arthur handed it over.

"As one would be after vomiting for most of the night." Nico stated as his icy blue eyes twinkled in humor as the rest of the table erupted into laughter.

"Nicolaides!" I said as sweetly as I could have before kicking his ankle beside me.

"Goodness Eve!" He said reaching down to rub his sore feet, "It was a joke."

At the corner of my eye I saw a small smile tug at the corner of Lucas' red lips as his eyes met mine for a brief second before returning to his conversation with Dillon.

"Are you alright?" Ethan questioned from across me as Nico instantly moved away dragging his chair farther away from me.

"Fantastic!" I replied in a flat voice as I sipped my tea.

"Don't be so defensive." He stated, "You are the one staring at your plate with multiple different expressions as though you are the human prototype for the new emojis."

A loud laugh escaped Nico beside me as he held up his hands in mock surrender.

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" I retorted, "I would hate for Katy to finally realize what an arse you really are!"

"Evelyn!" My mother admonished as I gazed challengingly at Ethan who dutifully continued his breakfast.

As Arthur and a couple of the staff came by to clear our plates, my father suddenly called to me from head of the table.

"Would you and Lucas meet me in the study when you are completed here?" He asked as I nodded in response baffled as I turned to Lucas who continued on his conversation chatting as comfortable with the news as unease seeped into me.

Ethan avoided my gaze as him and Nico got into a conversation about their football game and the upcoming rugby finals.

"I'm finished." Lucas stated, "Why don't we speak now?" He added as his brows rose mockingly as he dared me to reject.