Chapter 16

I don't know how to tell you that you are so intimately tied to every idea I've ever had of love. –Chloe Frayne

Evelyn's POV.

Sergio wasn't at all what I had expected him to be. Unlike all of the bodyguards I previously had, he looked more like a men sport's model being more adequately built unlike the bulky set that scared the crowd as though they guarded the queen herself. With his caramel colored hair and bright grey eyes, he was attractive being easy on the eye. His Spanish background also added to his allure as we conversed the entire way home.

After Sergio dropped me off, I took a steaming hot shower replaying the events of the day. Stepping out of the shower, I toweled dried myself before tying my hair into a messy bun and putting on a festive pair of polka dotted pink panties with an old white over size shirt. Just as I emerged from my bedroom, the door-bell rang. Rushing over, the lazy smirk that greeted me had me jumping back in surprise as my arms immediately covered my chest through the thin cotton.

"Is this how you usually greet your guest?" Lucas questioned travelling his gaze lower down my body as heat bloomed from my head to my toes.

"I...what are you doing here?" I asked finding my voice as it came out breathlessly.

"I brought your car over." He replied as he handed me my keys.

"Come in." I murmured moving away from the door as we entered the living room.

Discarding his jacket, he took a seat on my bright turquoise sofa as a tired sigh escaped his mouth.

"Go ahead." He stated looking at me.

"Go ahead?" I questioned.

"You said I don't ever answer your questions." He replied, "Ask them."

"Why did you return home suddenly?" I asked despite telling myself that I did not want to know.

"It was not by choice." He replied after a thoughtful second, "I had placed my cousin Alvaro in charge to overlook the main headquarters, a job in which he had failed to accomplish. What was supposed to be a short clean up turned into more than a year. I made the home base here much to my mama's disapproval." He mussed, "But ultimately it was a choice she understood."

"So you stayed there for business?" I asked.

"I know your colorful mind must have thought the most gattina but yes I did. Working for almost eighteen hours a day is finally catching up to me."

"I know how you feel." I replied, "The person I work with wants me to be at the office before 7 a.m."

"That person must be nightmare." He smirked.

"Most times yes." I found myself replying.

"And other times..." He pressed.

"I don't think he's that bad." I softly replied meeting his intense eyes.

Breaking his stare, I asked, "Would you like to stay for supper?"

"I would love to." He replied as I excused myself briskly walking towards my bedroom.

"Nice polka dots." He said loudly as I rushed down the corridor.

Slipping on a bra against my sensitive nipples, I pulled on a pair of yoga pants and a tank top before returning to the living room to find him fast asleep on the sofa.

Smiling softly at his sleeping form, I entered the kitchen preparing supper as half hour later; I dished the pasta into plates before taking it onto the dining table.