Chapter 18

It was instinctive, the way I fell for you. Like an effortless intake of breath. –Josh Walker

Evelyn's POV.

Despite myself, the absence of Lucas weighed further of my mind that I would have liked. Often, within the first couple of hours throughout the day I found myself glancing at the adjoining door as though I was anticipating him and his arrogant smirk to walk through the at any given moment. A knock at my door interrupted me as Will entered a second later.

"Hello there." He greeted cheerily placing a brown paper bag onto my desk.

Eyeing it curiously I looked at his mischievous eyes, "What is it?" I asked.

"Why don't you open it and see for yourself." He persisted.

Inquisitively I peered inside grinning at him as I took the box out.

"I'm quite the gentleman aren't I?" He stated smugly as I bit into the dessert.

"And very humble about it." I replied.

"Is that a smile I see?" He asked teasingly, "At least now you don't look so bummed out."

"I am not bummed out." I retorted.

"Sure you're not." He stated, "Now do you need me to go down and my knees and plead for the gossip or will you tell me if I ask kindly."

"What gossip?" I asked genuinely confused.

"You had front row seats to boss going completely raging mad of course and finally firing that snobby bitch." He elaborated, "The entire office have been talking about it albeit we all witnessed him furious before but never losing his temper like that. He isn't even here and the entire building is quiet and more productive than ever. Especially now since he demanded the performance review."

"I don't think your job is in trouble Will." I said reassuringly as he looked dryly at me.

"Can you imagine the anxiety I felt knowing that a few minutes later we had an impromptu finances meeting with him. I haven't gone to church in a very long time but I think I made up for it praying countless times on the elevator up."

I couldn't help the laugh that bubbled past my throat as I remembered his distressed look.

"Like I said before..." He continued on as Alicia entered through the door, "My father didn't scare me as much growing up and he's a commander in the navy. But then later on you entered during the meeting, with an Oscar worthy facial expression by the way." He paused snickering as I leveled a flat look at him, "Were you aware we heard half the conversation on the other side of the room? But then boss came back and ended the meeting in less than five minutes, in which his mood changed drastically, he was relatively calmer, even when he came in yesterday briefly he was forty percent less intimidating."

"I took notice of that also." Alicia added in, "For once I was able to get out more than a stammering sentence as he spoke to me."

"I don't think I should be pushing my luck though." Will stated, "The paranoia is set in I must get back to my job."

As Will exited, I chatted to Alicia for a short while before we both returned to work.

Later in the evening, as Alicia said her good-byes, I entered into the awaiting vehicle as Sergio arrived promptly on time.

"When shall I pick you up Ms. Evelyn?" Sergio questioned as he briefly met my gaze through the mirror as the car came to a halt outside my home.

"Will 7 be alright?" I asked.