Chapter 5

She was one of the rare ones, so effortlessly herself, and the world loved her for it. -Atticus

Evelyn's POV.

"Good morning Miss Hart. My name is Alicia Greene and I'll be your personal assistant." Said a young woman with a sweet smile and an American country accent not even a moment after I had stepped foot into the vast lobby.

"Oh!" She exclaimed taking a short step back as her heels echoed on the pristine white polished floors, "Please forgive me Ms. Hart, I never meant to startle you." She said seemingly genuinely apologetic as a frown made its way onto her pretty face. Impeccably dressed in a grey power suit that matched the thunderous clouds, her immaculate makeup and sleek blond ponytail belied nothing short of efficiency and effectiveness.

"That's no problem." I responded as I curiously in-took my surroundings, "Have you been waiting a long time?" I asked.

Seemingly hesitant to answer my question, a wave of guilt flashed through me.

"It was no problem." She respectfully replied as her bright green eyes smiled comforting at me as though somehow knowing that I needed it, "I am here to officially welcome you to Demachelis & Co. Mr. Demachelis had initially requested that you take a tour of the office but I was just informed that he would like a word with you in his office."

"He's here?" I asked feeling the return of my racing heart.

"Of course." She answered, "His office is located on the top floor, if you would follow me."

Making my way across the wide almost empty lobby, saved for the modern reception counter that bared the company initials, an encouraging smile was granted to me by the two male bodies seated behind the computer screen as Alicia collected a key card of some sort. With only the sound of our clicking heels, I was escorted into the steel elevator as the mirroring walls forced me to look at my appearance as the 'just out of bed' look screamed in my face as compared to Alicia who redefined the phrase 'put together." My fitted pair of high-waisted black trousers hugged my thighs before falling into retro bell bottoms at the end flaring out over my favorite pair of matching stilettoes. Pairing the look with a loose fitting blush blouse that elegantly tied a bow at the neckline I would have been deemed passable if not for my brown hair that lay against me in a disarray of defiant curls. Pressing the button with the name 'top floor' printed boldly below the rest, she inserted the keycard as the numbers lit up. Within seconds, the door slid open revealing a second although much smaller reception area. It was hard to miss the spotlessly clean space as Lucas' OCD was mirrored through and through. Behind the counter that once again bared the company's name, two women sat immediately looking up from behind their work on hand offering me a smile close to nervousness as a young man suddenly turned, standing upright from against the drawer he was leaning against, fresh face and twinkling eyes as he offered me a charming smile as a stray strand of his blond locks fell against his eye. Across the room, a miniature flat screen television sat perched onto the wall showing the latest news from around the world as dark leather couches and a crystal coffee table took its place nearby. To the side, a water cooler as well as table holding together various teacups and a coffee maker sat serving a reminder of my missed breakfast as my stomach suddenly protested.

"Good luck." Alicia said from beside me offering me a friendly smile as my eyes glanced towards the closed brown oak door with his name plated in Gold. Twin stark white walls blocked out the remainder of the corridor on either side as I reluctantly stepped forward clasping the cold steel handles. Briefly I wondered if anyone would have witnessed my end perhaps on the other side as he sat trapped inside the doors away from the prying eyes of his employees.

With one final shaky breath I entered instantly feeling the cold consume me as though I had just stepped into hell. 

A/N: As promised a second upload. Enjoy the rest of your Christmas and be safe guys. Don't forget to vote and comment. Besure to check out 'THE BILLIONAIRE'S ULTIMATUM' 'THE BILLIONAIRE'S ARRANGEDWIFE' and 'THE BILLIONAIRE'S CHRISTMAS REVENGE' available on my page. 

See you soon...

oxoxox...Allison :)