20.

It was finally the day of the Christmas party. My parents and I were on our way to David's house. I was so nervous! I kept playing worst case scenarios in my head. I was scared that I would accidently say something that would give David and I away! I tried to calm myself and focus on just acting natural.
     "So have you been to David's house before?" My dad asked.
     "Yeah I have-but only once! Just to drop off some paperwork," Ugh that must have sounded so suspicious. A couple minutes later we arrived to David's. There was so much people parked in his driveway that it was hard to find a place to park alongside the sidewalk.
     "Wow, David's house is gorgeous," my mom said in awe.
     "I knew lawyers made good money but not this good," my dad replied.
     We knocked on the door. We could hear music and people talking through the door.
     "Hey guys!" David greeted us. I reached out my hand as he opened his arms for a hug, so we settled for a half hug. It was so awkward! I prayed my parents didn't think anything of our weird embrace. David shook my parents' hands and then he lead us inside. He introduced us to a couple of his friends and then he went to grab us some drinks. He handed each of my parents a glass of champagne.
     "And a glass of eggnog for the young lady," he handed me the glass and whispered, "It has alcohol." I shot him a smile. He dismissed himself to go tend to his other guests. My parents ran into some guy they knew in high school and were deeply conversating so I decided to walk around. I walked into the living room to see if I could find somewhere to sit when I thought I recognized someone.
     "Hey Eric!" It was David's friend. I hadn't seen him since David hosted movie night for his friends and my girls.
     "Oh hey Marina! How are you? Long time no see,"
     "I'm good. How 'bout you?" 
     "I'm fine. Are you having a good time?"
     "Yeah. I mean, I don't really know anybody so there's no one to talk to,"
     "Well you know me. Why don't we sit down?" We found an empty couch in the corner of the room.
     "So...have you met Renee?" He said lowly.
     "OMG no! I wonder where she is? I don't even know what she looks like," I said under my breath.
     "Well she's right there..."
     "Where?!" He pointed to a woman standing across the room. She was tall and slender. Her hair was lightly curled and she was wearing a black sweater dress with heels. She was beautiful.
     "That's his wife..." I said rather stunned. I didn't ever imagine her to look this way.
     Just then, David walked in and said "Oh there you are! Marina I want you to meet someone," he motioned me to follow his lead. My legs felt like lead as I dragged myself over to where she was. I felt extremely uncomfortable and nervous.
     "Renee this is Marina," he said to his wife.
     "Oh hi sweetie, I've heard so much about you," she looked like she was in her late thirties. I could tell she had her lips done. But other than that she seemed to be natural.
     "Hi nice to meet you,"
     "Dave says you're the best assistant he's ever had, I hope he isn't working you too hard," she laughed.
     "Oh no he's great," I smiled. I felt so bad for her, if only she knew. Despite the guilt, I was starting to feel a strain of anger inside me. Why did David even have to introduce us? I'm pretty sure we could have gone through the night without meeting each other.
     "So are you having fun? Ugh you must be so bored with no one your age to talk to. You're so young like a little baby," she playfully laughed.
     "Haha, no it's okay, I get along with older people just fine." I smiled.

     I continued to chat with Eric for a while. Then I heard a text come through to my phone. It was David.
     Meet me in my bedroom upstairs. I have a surprise for you 😊

     "David just texted me to meet him in his bedroom?" I said to Eric. He shrugged his shoulders. I got up and made sure to discretely go up the stairs. I passed a bedroom where I could hear children laughing and playing. I assumed the adults had sent the children upstairs and ordered them not to go downstairs and disturb them. I passed a second door where I could hear The Weeknd being played and I knew that was definitely David's older daughter. When I reached the end of the hallway I arrived to his bedroom. I opened the door and the lights were off. He did say his bedroom. I flicked on the light and slowly walked in.
     "Boo!" David sprang from behind the door. I slightly jumped.
     "Ugh don't do that!" He closed the door behind us.
     "Sorry," he laughed as he embraced me in his arms and gave me a deep kiss. He tried to deepen the kiss but I pulled back.
     "What if someone walks in?"
     "I locked the door," he continued to kiss me.
     "Is this the surprise you were talking about?" He laughed.
     "No, here close your eyes and hold out your hand," I closed my eyes and I felt something pretty lightweight being placed in my hand. I opened my eyes and looked down to see a small box. David smiled at me and nodded his head saying to go ahead and open it. It was a Cartier Love bracelet. I looked up at him in shock.
     "It's an early Christmas present," he smiled.
     "You didn't have to do this," I always wanted one of these and I couldn't believe that he got me one. I hugged him and kissed his cheek.
     "Thank you so much," tears were welling up in my eyes.
     "Look on the inside of the bracelet," he said to me. There was engraving.
     "My birthday." 
     "Yeah the day we first met," I smiled at him. I couldn't believe him.
     "And what's this date?" There was another engraving on the other side of the bracelet.
     "Erm, the first time we uh, you know,"
     "What the fuck?" I laughed, "You remembered the date?"
     "Yeah," he laughed. I wrapped my arms around his waist and layed my head against his chest. He wrapped one arm around me while he ran his fingers through my hair with the other. We stayed like that for a while until David suggested that we should get back to the party. He left the room first. I sat on his bed a little while longer admiring the bracelet on my wrist. How did I get so lucky? Yeah he might not be mine all the time, but I'd rather have him for a little than not at all......

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! I wish you all health, wealth and love. Thanks for reading :)