Chapter One

Danielle's P.O.V

I could literally see Maya's smirk from a mile away as I approached her. "Look who decided to show up today." Maya said dramatically as she leaned against my locker. I rolled my eyes, elbowing her out of the way.

"I was forced out of the house." I explained.

Maya's eyes glowed with curiosity. "Well, fill me in." She said as I sighed, opening my locker.

"Danielle, get your ass out of that bed!"

I sighed, rolling over to snuggle up against the warmth of my pillows. Suddenly, a few seconds of peace later, the blanket was now being ripped from my body, causing me to groan.

"I told you to get up." Mom said as I grabbed my pillow, throwing it at her. I couldn't see if it got her though since my back was turned to her, but I didn't care. There was no way I was going to school today, especially on a Monday.

"You have 3 seconds." Mom said as I felt the pillow hit the back of my head, making me turn around to face her.

"Or what?" I asked, slightly frowning. Mom grinned, bending down to grab my leg. I let out a squeal when she began to pull me off my bed, resulting in my ass smacking against the carpet.

"Get up." Mom said.

I stared back at her, wanting to test her a little more. "Nah, the floor is pretty comfy." I said, closing my eyes.

Mom grabbed my foot again, and this time I knew she was about to drag my ass downstairs. "If you don't get up, I'll make sure your head hits every step on the way down." Mom said, her tone threatening as she began to drag me out of the room.

As soon as I felt my shirt slide up and my back begin to burn, I shot up from the ground, holding myself up with my hands as Mom still held onto my leg.

"Are you getting up now?" Mom asked as I breathed out a sigh, nodding. Mom dropped my leg and I stand up, making my way to the bathroom.

"I was abused." I said as Maya laughed.

"I guess that explains why your hair is a mess." Maya replied as my eyes widen, my hands going to my hair.

"Mirror. I need a mirror." I snapped, watching as my best friend continued to laugh at my stress. I rolled my eyes before quickly grabbing Maya's hair-tie out of her hair, watching as it fell down her back.

Maya stopped laughing, her face burning with annoyance. I didn't know what it was, but she always had her hair up. It was like she was afraid of catching lice or something. So, whenever I took her hair-tie, she'd either pin me against the lockers, or tickle me—two things I didn't want her to do to me.

But was I going to back down? No.

"Give me that hair-tie." Maya said, her tone cold.

I chuckled, crossing my arms over my chest. "Who's laughing now, huh?" I asked as Maya held her hair up with her hand. I ignored Maya's groans and protests and began making my way to class, seeing as I was already late.

"Go to hell, Danielle!" Maya shouted and I flashed her a smile before entering the classroom, which was quickly wiped off when I noticed everyone staring at me.

I was tempted to throw a chair at everyone, but then again, I didn't want to do the effort, especially on a Monday.

"Why are you late?" My teacher sighed as I glanced over at her.

I pointed at the door. "My friend told me to go to hell, so I was finding it. I mean, it took me a while, but I'm here and ready to die." I said, a small smile on my lips as I watched my teacher roll her eyes. I walked down the row of tables and sit down at the empty seat at the back of the class.