Chapter Two

[ thank you noctuaries for the beautiful cover, this chapter is dedicated to you ]

Danielle's P.O.V

"Danielle, can you come out?" I heard Mom ask on the other side of my door, but I chose to ignore her as I turned up the volume on my stereo. "Danielle!" Mom shouted as I rolled my eyes.

I climbed out of bed and headed towards the door, swinging it open. "What?" I snapped, narrowing my eyes at her. I knew I shouldn't be acting like this to my own mother—the person who gave me life—but I couldn't help it. When I was in this mood, it took me forever to finally snap out of it.

"Please, come out. Andrea's here and she'd like to—"

"I'll come out when I've calmed down. So, unless you want me to trash the house, I suggest you leave me alone for, at least, two hours." I said before shutting the door. I didn't bother to lock it and walked back to my bed, grabbing my sketchbook.

I opened the book, looking at the unfinished drawing of Maya. It was going to be her birthday present, and her birthday was in a few days, so I had to be done with this quickly.

I've met Andrea once when she came over for a cup of tea. Mom and Andrea worked at the same hospital, and since they saw each other almost every day, Andrea was never over much. She was nice to me when I first met her, but I just got the vibe that she was only nice when other people were around.

As I began shading in Maya's hair, I heard someone mutter something under their breath as the song came to an end. I raised my head, my eyes staring at the boy who was staring back at me with the same look of disbelief.

"What the fuck?" We both said in unison as I set my sketchbook aside.

Now, we were both running downstairs to confront the adults.

"I'm not letting this idiot stay in my house!"

"I'm not living in the same house as this psycho!"

Both Andrea and Mom burst out laughing. I exchanged looks with the boy beside me, then stared back at Mom in pure confusion. I waited for the two women to stop laughing, but they seemed to continue, making them look crazy.

"Mom!" I shouted, grabbing the attention of her and Andrea. They both stared at me with grins plastered on their faces, and I glared back at them. "This must be a joke." I said as Mom shook her head.

"Oh, no. No jokes here." Mom chuckled as my eyes widened. I clenched my fists, the anger from before still bubbling inside me as I stared at the vase in front of me. I was tempted to knock it over just to hear it smash, but Mom stood in front of me, her arms folded across her chest. "I thought you knew Andrea had a son." Mom said slowly, her grin disappearing.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "If I knew she had a son, would I have been screaming a few seconds ago asking for an explanation?" I asked through gritted teeth as Mom looked at Andrea, confusion clear in her eyes.

"So, you don't know who he is?" Mom asked, pointing at the asshole standing beside me.

"Oh, no. I know who he is." I replied, sending Cole a glare.

Mom nodded slowly. "Then I don't see the problem." Mom smiled, making me throw my hands in the air from frustration.

"You still don't see it, do you?" I shouted, ignoring everyone's looks of shock as I walked back to my room, slamming the door shut.

+++

"Hey, people." I greeted, a tired smile on my face.

Surprisingly, after an hour and a half of crying and shouting at nothing, I finally calmed down, and by the look on Mom's face, she knew what I had been doing in my room. I knew my cheeks were red and my eyes were puffy, but I didn't care anymore.