Where were you?

Miranda got home about half an hour later, to her "modest" penthouse in Midtown Manhattan, as soon as James parked, she exited the SUV and headed inside the building.

"Good morning... Miss....Hawthorn" said the desk clerk.

"Morning Dylan" she replied without stopping, she had asked James to buy her sunglasses on their way home, but she also knew well enough that there were no sunglasses big enough to cover her current look, the hair had dried up by the time she arrived, and was showing the aftermath from last night, and if that was not proof enough, there was the make-up crisis going on in her face that the sunglasses, as big as they were, only covered partially, so hiding was out of the question, which in turn meant that her only option was to repeat her performance at the apartment, and act high and mighty, knowing no employee who would dare ask anything about it.

As soon as she was past her door, was greeted by an older woman.

"Good morning Angel"

"Morning Nanny" she replied, Nanny Stella had been her nanny for the full length of her life, and after her own mother's death, she became Miranda's Mother figure, to such degree that even after she turned eighteen, she refused to her father reassigning her, she was her Nanny and would continue to be so until she desired otherwise.

Naturally, once Miranda moved out of her father's, Nanny Stella followed along, as did James, her husband.

Her father, for one, was happy to have people he could trust watching over his daughter, so he was pleased with the arrangement, after all, Miranda had refused to get a bodyguard to no end, so having both James and Stella watching over her was as close as he was ever going to get.

Nanny Stella said nothing, merely observed as she walked past her, going to her room.

"Rough morning?" She finally asked.

"You have no idea Nanny" replied Miranda as she was entering her room.

She undressed and started with the makeup remover, as soon as she was done, went to the bathroom, only to find the tub ready and waiting for her.

"Thanks Nanny!" She yelled.

"You're welcome Angel, just figured you needed it" she replied.

Miranda submerged on the tub, as the warm water covered her, she closed her eyes trying to recall the events of the night before, she wanted to understand how in hell did she end up on Brooklyn, and specially on some unknown guy's bed, but the exercise proved to be difficult, as she only got a few flashing images.

"I guess I have no option but to ask the skanks" she whispered to herself, she had the habit of thinking out loud, habit that always earned her a scolding by Nanny.

"Refined young ladies never do that" she used to say.

Nonetheless, the habit never went away, and to this day she still gets scolded for it.

Once she was done, she headed to her dressing room, and selected a T-shirt and some pants.

Nanny Stella watched her heading to the kitchen with a disapproving stare.

Nanny had tried to instill in her a sense of girliness, but failed, Miranda was gorgeous, tall, about 5'8", green eyed, with long light brunette hair, and a figure to die for, not to mention wealthy enough to wear whatever she wanted, but to Nanny's dismay, she was uninterested in fashion, almost all her wardrobe was comprised of pants, T-shirts and sweatshirts, with the exception of her work clothes, those were office attires, pencil skirts, jackets and the sort, appropriate, but not what Nanny would like to see her wearing.

"Anything you want to tell me?" Nanny asked.

"Like I said, rough morning Nanny"

"I suppose you won't tell me where you spent the night?"

Miranda kept silent, not that she minded telling her, she didn't like to keep anything from Nanny, but she was simply ashamed to confess that she only knew where she woke up.

"Nevermind Nanny"

"Last night you were supposed to go out with Miss. Rebecca and Miss. Michelle"

"And I did"

"Then how come you got here alone today?"

Nanny was relentless, and Miranda knew it.

"I was with them, but I met someone" said as mildly as humanly possible, just not enough for Nanny not to hear.

Nanny's face lit up like Christmas tree.

"Is that so?" She said trying to control her smile, she had been nagging Miranda to go out and meet a nice young man, as Nanny Felt that her social life was lacking, and a boyfriend was the perfect way to correct that.

"Don't even think about it" Miranda scoffed, while giving her a squinty eyes look "it's not like that"

"I didn't say anything" she smiled.

"Yeah right, you didn't"

"Besides, you already know how I feel, I just wish you met a nice young man to spend your life with" she sighed "your late mother would of agreed" she finished.

That, both knew, was a knockout jab, Nanny Stella was so special to Miranda for exactly that reason, not only she was her Nanny from birth, but also, her mother's confidant, as the two woman grew really close, they used to go everywhere together, the three of them, which were the happiest memories of Miranda's childhood, strolling around park avenue with Nanny on one hand and her mother in the other.

"I know Nanny" she surrendered "but if I tell you, promise me not to get mad or laugh"

"That doesn't sound reassuring"

Miranda told her everything she could remember, which was next to nothing, as well as her morning adventure.

Nanny just kept silently listening to the story, raising her eyebrows every twenty seconds or so.

"Does this young man have a name?" She inquired.

"I'm sure he does, I just don't know if I ever got it in the first place" she whispered.

"And it never occurred to you to ask for it?"

"What's the point?" She replied "it's not like I plan on seeing him again"

"Well...if what you suspect happened, knowing your partners name would be nice" she said with a naughty smile.

"Nanny!" Miranda laughed.

"A proper lady should at least know the names of her partners"

"Nanny, a proper lady would never do thatin the first place, besides...."

"Besides what?" Nanny asked.

"Nevermind Nanny" she said "I'm going to my father's" she declared, while going in her room to change into work attire.

"OK Angel" Nanny said, while picking the clothes she was taking off.

Miranda knew how close she got to confess to Nanny the one thing she wouldn't share, even to her.

"What other partners?" She thought to herself, while finishing getting dressed.