can someone please tell me just what is going on?

Miranda was startled by the word that had just come out of Josh's mouth.

she was waiting for his response, but the bell of the elevator interrupted her, followed by the doors opening.

Suddenly, they both stood there, watching all the people stationed in her father's living room.

The soft background music and the chatter of people invaded the elevator.

All those in attendance turned around to gaze at the newcomers.

The sound of chatter stopped for a second.

Miranda was forced to stop the questioning and adopt a smiley face.

She tried to move forward but Josh would not budge an inch.

She, as gently and imperceptibly as possible, pulled Josh's arm to get his attention.

"we can't keep my father waiting, honey" she said between teeth.

Josh looked at her for a second, before starting to move.

"you have no idea, do you?" he asked.

Miranda didn't bother to respond, just continued to move toward the inside of the room, while waving her hand to people left and right.

Josh, on the other hand, besides his feet moving, was as stiff as a statue.

"Wuss" thought Miranda to herself.

A few paces later, Miranda spotted Marcus, standing on a side of the room, obviously on duty.

"Hey Marcus" she saluted him.

"Hello, Miss Miranda" he responded "your father is on the terrace waiting for you both" he signaled.

"thank you" 

Once she found her way outside, she spotted the back of her father, vividly chatting with a group of people.

The duo approached him, and the group attention shifted to them as they were approaching.

At first her father held a happy face at the sight of her daughter, but as soon as his gaze laid upon her companion, got frozen and turned into one of being perplexed.

"Hello daddy" she hailed.

"hello princess" he answered, without removing that face, and without taking his eyes out of her date.

"there is someone i want you to meet" she said wih a smile "let me introduce you to my boyfriend, his name is..."

"Josh" her father interrupted her.

Miranda's face froze still, while Josh's looked red as a tomato.

"haven't seen you in a while my boy" her father declared.

"i been busy with school, that's all" Josh replied.

"apparently that's not all you been busy with" Matthew said, while signaling Miranda with his eyes.

"you two know each other?" Miranda inquired, with still no clue what was happening.

Matthew directed a quizzical look at his daughter, and turned to look at Josh, who waved his head in a negative.

"really?" he asked Josh.

"neither of us had any idea" Josh answered while shrugging his shoulders.

"can someone please fill me in on just what is going on here?" Miranda asked, already frustrated by the whole thing.

Matthew's face lit up at the realization of his daughters obliviousness.

"my dear child, you and my godson really do look good together" he teased.

Miranda's was beyond dumbfounded.

Miranda turned at Josh in disbelief, whom only nodded in confirmation.

"but this doesn't make any sense" she blurted "how come i have never met him before?"

"you guys have known each other all your lives, princess" Matthew asserted.

"as far as i can recall, you only have one godson, and that is..." she couldn't finish that last sentence.

Miranda made in that precise moment a damned fine impression of Josh's face just before the elevator's doors opened.

"baby?" a feminine voice was heard.

All three of them turned around to find the owner.

Miranda found nanny Stella standing right next to them, with a look of strangeness on her face.

"hi mom" Josh greeted.