what did you say your name was?

As they were making their way inside, Josh was beyond nervous, he could not believe he had not noticed before.

Just how amazing Miranda looked.

When she arrived to his place, he made his way inside the car, determined not to pay attention to her, as he had more than enough motives to brush her off.

He figured that if he had to spend all evening pretending a sentiment that just wasn't there, he better save it all for when actuall espectators were present.

Of course, he wasn't counting with the spectacle that unfolded before his eyes once Miranda descended from the car.

Miranda seemed comfortable in exquisite dress, her long hair was a little almond cascade running trough the side of her left shoulder.

Her makeup was just a little bit noticeable, no doubt, the work of an expert.

In sum, if he hadn't known any better, he could swear that the office dragon lady from the past few days, and the amazingly looking creature in front of his eyes, were two different people.

Josh had no way of knowing that catching Miranda in such attire was a rare occurence.

However, he was not alone in the sentiment.

Miranda was just as nervous, she had noticed before him the outlook of his companion for the evening.

She kept playing with the fabric of her dress during the whole way, unsure wether to try and start a conversation or keep the silence going.

Miranda, for the whole lenght of her life, had never experienced anything of the sort.

Sure, she had guys she liked at some point, sure, a good looking guy walking past the street would catch her eye.

But this was a whole different thing altogether.

Most of the guys she had liked over the years would not dare to speak to the only daughter of Matthew Hawthorn.

And even if she were to meet an attractive man, one that she really liked, she never had the social skills or confidence to speak to someone she didn't know and spawn a conversation out of thin air.

So, instead of risking social akwardness, she just preffered to keep doing her own thing.

"if they are interested they should be the ones to make an effort, not me" she used to say to herself and her friends.

Of course, her friends had tried to set her up with guys before, double dates and triple dates included, but most of those ended up in blowoffs from Miranda, and the very few that actually went trough, ended in insufferable night for Miranda, listening to guys talking about things that had nothing to do with her, while watching how Michelle and Rebecca prettended to pay attention.

"Hypocrites" she always tought "as long as they look good, they might as well be talking about the weather and those two will still be interested as if they were hearing a Stephen Awking lecture"

The worst ones were the ones that tried to make passes at her, once the alcohol reached a certain level.

Needles to say those ended in a super quick and abrupt manner.

Nonetheless, right by her arm, there was a guy that not only was able to catch her eye, that he did even before the makeover thing.

But also, had entered in her life in the most personal and intimate way a man and a woman can, because concieving a child together is as personal as it gets for a man and a woman.

And yet, despite that being a done deal, she still could not manage to start a proper coversation with him.

These, and more, were the thoughts in both parts.

As they were making their way inside, something caught Josh's attention.

"good evening Jonathan, seems you got the night shift today" Miranda hailed the clerk at the front desk.

"Evening Miss. Miranda" he hailed back "i believe your father is waiting for you".

They walked past the main elevator, and directed themselves to a corridor with another elevator at the end of it.

His surroundings seemed somewhat familiar, from the floor, a polished dark grey one, to the front desk they had just passed, to the elevator they were just getting in.

"ummm this place looks familiar" he finally voiced.

Miranda turned to look at him just as his gaze was examining the outside of the elevator just before the doors closed.

"have you been here before?" Miranda inquired.

"maybe, i'm not sure" he said while examining the inside of the elevator.

Josh watched as Miranda pressing the pent house button.

"what is this bulding  called?" he asked.

"Hawthorn condos, of course".

Josh lowered his gaze for a second, still lost in thought.

Suddenly, his eyes went wide open.

"what did you say your name was?" he asked with a terrified look on his face.

Miranda looked at him while scowling.

"i'm pretty sure the contract we just signed not two days ago stated both of our full names" she replied.

"Miranda Hawthorn" he uttered, not even directing his gaze at her.

At this point, Miranda was just lost, on all the thoughts going trough Josh's mind.

"Seems like memory is not your strong suit"

Josh's mind, however was anything but idle at that point, and right this moment was tying knots about a thought that just crossed his mind.

He suddenly remembered why his current surrounding seemed familiar.

And that is, because they were.

He had been there in multiple occations.

That in itself was not the part he was worried about.

The part of which he was struggling in his head at the moment was more related to the name of the place, and specially about the part of exactly who he was there to meet before.

"we need to stop this thing" he babbled.

"it's a little late to chicken out" she stated calmly "stop the wuss act and get yourself together" she ordered.

"we are screwed" he said with a grim look on his face.

Miranda looked at his terrified face, she figured that even for a last minute second thought it was just too much.

"what's wrong?" she inquired.

"we are both so screwed" he said while directing his eyes at her.

She was about to scold him once again, when a single word left his mouth.

"Angel" he said with the same horrified face.

"what did you just say?" she asked.

But she never got a direct answer, as the bell from the elevator rang and the doors opened.