What did you just say?

"Miranda!"

Miranda could hear someone calling her name.
"What happened, where am I?"
She looked around, all white everywhere, and the most distinctive of smells.
"Miranda, we are in the Hospital"
She looked up, and saw Both Michelle and Rebecca standing next to her bed, with a worried look on their faces.
"I'm OK guys, just felt real dizzy for a minute" she said.
"If you weren't feeling well, you should've told us"
"I was fine until I stood up"
"The doctor will be here in a minute" one of the nurses announced.
"Thank you" replied Rebecca.
"How long was I out?" Miranda inquired.
"For about an hour"
"But now I feel fine, we should just leave now"
"We are not moving an inch until a doctor tells us what is wrong with you"
"I'm fine, really"
As she was saying this, a middle aged man came in.
"Hello I'm Dr Williams"
"What's wrong with her, doctor?"
He took a look at the test results.
"Seems to be anemia" he responded "an I.V. and a good night rest and some good food, and she should be as good as new" he grinned
"See, I told you I was fine, no big deal" she spatted.
Both Rebecca and Michelle sighed in relief.
"You need to take care of yourself, Prude"
"That's what I got you skanks for" she replied with a smile.
The doctor just smiled at the singular displays of affection.
"Still, we should run more tests, just to make sure everything is alright"
Miranda nodded
"When can I leave?"
"You should stay for today, just to keep you under observation, tomorrow morning, if everything is alright"
She wasn't thrilled with the idea, but did refuse the doctor's order.
"Hand me my phone Rebecca" Miranda asked.
"Sure, here" she handed it to her.
"I should call Nanny and dad, I don't want them to worry about me"
"Once you tell them where you are, they will worry anyways" Michelle pointed.
Miranda knew she was right.
"That's why I won't tell them, I'll just say that I'm staying with one of you guys"
"You're twenty seven, and still you lie to your dad and your Nanny" teased Rebecca.
"Two of your three ex-husbands were at least twenty years older than you, and yet they still believed you loved them for who they were, as far as lies go, I still can't match up to you" she snapped back, with a big smile.
The three girls laughed.
"OK OK, just tell them you're staying at my place" Rebecca conceded
"Thanks"
"Don't mention it" replied Rebecca "and now we are leaving because the hospital smell makes me sick"
"OK you guys go, I'll see you tomorrow"
"OK, bye"
And the two girls left the room.
Once alone, Miranda kept wondering about how did she got anemia, her routine was the same as always, and she was eating normally, even a little more than usual, and all top notch food, Nanny Stella would never allow for it to be any different.
She spent the rest of the evening on her phone, sending emails and doing as much work as she could from there.

Both Rebecca and Michelle were there in the morning, just waiting for Miranda to be discharged, so they could take her somewhere nice to have breakfast.

But the plans would derail in a colossal way, and breakfast had nothing to do with it.

When they arrived, Miranda was already awake, and anxious to leave.
"Hey prude, how are you feeling?"
"Ready to leave as soon as the doctor comes in with the results from yesterday"
And how long will that be?, a danish and a coffee are waiting for me"
"And a pissed off Nanny and my dad are waiting for me, so I'm in more of a hurry than you"
"Let have breakfast together, I'll drive you home afterwards" Rebecca suggested.
"Fine, let's just hope the Results don't take too long"
Twenty minutes later, Dr Williams came in with a few papers in his hand.
"Good morning Miss Hawthorn" greeted the doctor.
"Morning Doctor"
"I have your test results"
"Everything OK?" Miranda inquired.
"Well...good news is we found the cause of the anemia" he stated
"And what's the bad news?" She asked, a little afraid by the way the doctor said it.
"No bad news, at least nothing to worry about"
"Then what is it?" She asked a little annoyed.
"Congratulations Miss Hawthorn, you are pregnant"
Miranda's facial expression remained still, while Rebecca's and Michelle's eyes opened as wide as their faces allowed.

Both Michelle and Rebecca turned to see each other, and to Miranda right after, Miranda, however had a blank facial expression, like someone had mentioned laundry instead of what was actually said.

"There must be some mistake" Miranda spouted.
"No, the test was conclusive"
"But for me to be pregnant I would have to have..." Miranda couldn't finish that last sentence, she could have been able, a month or so ago, but not anymore.
"Let me see that" she ordered, yanking the paper out of the doctor's hands.
The three girls looked at the paper with anxious eyes, until they found the line written on it that read
"Pregnancy test: Positive"
Rebecca and Michelle stood up, looking to each other in confusion, while Miranda just kept her eyes glued to the paper, eyes wide open.
"This must be a mistake, maybe they mixed up my results with someone else's" she babbled
"Miss Hawthorn, I assure you that what you have in your hands is your results"
"This isn't happening, this isn't happening" she started to babble uncontrollably.
"Miranda, you should calm down" Michelle said "I'm sure its not good for the baby"
As those words reached her ears, Miranda looked at her, with tears in her eyes.
"The baby" she repeated, and bursted into tears.
Both girls just hugged her, neither of them had any idea about what else to say to her.
It took Miranda about two minutes to calm down.
"Miss Hawthorn, the nurse will give directions as to how to take care of yourself during your pregnancy, as soon as you're ready, you are free to go" the doctor said calmly " if you'll excuse me, I need to continue my rounds"
"Thank you doctor" Miranda said, without any emotion behind her voice.
"I wish you the best of luck, Miss Hawthorn" he said, holding her hand, and left after that.
Miranda was just sitting there on the bed, with her gaze lost in front of her.
"Come on sweetie, is not that bad" Michelle said, holding her hand.
"You're gonna be the first mom out of us" Rebecca stated.

"I guess you can start looking for a new way to call me, since apparently, prude won't apply to me anymore" Miranda couldn't help but to shed a tear as she said it.