have you met the new guy?

Miranda sat on her desk chair, looking, once again, and uncharacteristically, through the window, lost in thought.

The memory from last night was still fresh in her memory, and she just had not been able to wrap her mind around what happened.

Josh, as promised, got to the company at nine a.m. sharp, and had presented himself before her.

But, not a single word about last night came from him, naturally, Miranda didn't say anything either.

She just gave him his assignment.

"mail room" he whispered.

"you have a problem with that?" she inquired.

"not at all" he responded, with an inexpressive look on his face "where should i go next?" he asked.

"report to H.R. for enrollment" Miranda informed "they will show you where you will be working and your duties" 

Josh didn't say anything else, just nodded and exited her office.

Surely, a call came to her about an hour later, and she was expecting it.

"princess?" was the first thing she heard.

"morning dad" she greeted.

"can you please explain to me, just why did you assign Josh to the mail room?"

Miranda took a deep breath, she was completely sure that such questioning would arise, since her father was already aware about Josh's arrival to the company, he would surely be monitoring H.R., just waiting to find out where Josh would be assigned.

"there are two reasons for that dad, the first one, is that Josh is still in school, so it's important that he focuses on that, so i assigned him to a department with low workload, so he can concentrate in his studies, and the company would not suffer in case he needed to be absent for any reason" she explained.

"and the second?" Matthew inquired.

"i don't want people to think that i favored him in any way just because he is my...boyfriend" she struggled to let out the last word of that sentence.

A little giggle could be heard from the other side of the line.

"it's funny" Matthew said "Josh said the exact same thing".

Miranda was a little surprised to hear that.

"have you talked to him?" she questioned.

"of course, i called him as soon as i got word of his assignment".

"please don't do that" she pleaded.

"what's wrong with me calling my godchild AND daughter's boyfriend?" he snorted.

Miranda just let a frustration sigh out.

"anything else dad?" she questioned.

"no, princess, i'll let you get back to work, bye" he finished, and hung up.

Miranda felt uncomfortable with the situation.

She was not particularly avert to the idea of bringing joy to her father, but knowing that such joy was coming out of the most gigantic lie she had ever told, left her with a sense of uneasiness and guilt.

And the lie was just about to get bigger, way bigger, as soon as Josh mustered the courage to go and ask for her hand.