why did you say that?

To say that Miranda was confused, would be a gross understatement.

She believed that the worst of it was over by the time her dad declared that he was contempt with the supplied answers.

But she wasn't counting with the last two words that left Josh's mouth.

Miranda just kept moving, dragging Josh along until they reached a corner of the balcony.

Once Miranda made sure no one were within ear shot, she turned around to face Josh.

"are you nuts?"  she said as mildly as possible but still with severity in her voice "why did you have to say something like that?" she complained.

Josh just stood there, looking at her.

" i needed to even the play field" he finally answered with a devilish smile.

"what play field? what are you talking about?" she asked.

"up until now, this whole thing has just been about what you want" he replied "i have been just a convenient accessory to you" he glared "only i had something to lose in all this".

Miranda just stared.

"learning about who each other is makes no difference" he continued "you still hold all the cards, well...now you have as much to lose as i do" he declared.

Miranda could feel as her blood boiled upon hearing Josh's explanation.

"Listen to me, you little shit if you think..."

"no! you listen to me!" Josh interrupted her "i'm sick of being toyed with, that baby is as mine as it is yours, and if you want to remain daddy's pride and joy, you will listen to me too, otherwise, we can drop the act right now, your dad might kill me for this, but you won't get away unscathed" he challenged.

Miranda had never experienced such frustration in all her life, she just couldn't believe what she just heard.

Miranda just stared at Josh, struggling to find what to say to break Josh's little rebellion.

But she couldn't find anything to say, as she examined Josh's face, she could recognize determination in his face, he meant it when he said he was willing to commit suicide by telling her dad the truth.

Miranda stood there, silent, for what it seemed an eternity.

"what do you want" she finally asked, with the words barely escaping her teeth.

"we can discuss that later, when we are alone" Josh stated "right now we have to finish the evening as the happy couple that we are" he smiled.

"fine" Miranda finally surrendered ".

"its not polite for the guests of honor to hide" a voice was heard.

As they turned around, they found Matthew approaching them.

"Josh, my boy" he said while holding Josh by the shoulder "there is some people i want you to meet" he announced.

Josh turned to see Miranda, who only nodded.

"OK, lead the way" he said.

And as he started moving along, Miranda just followed them with her eyes.

Miranda stood there, lost in thought for a few minutes, that is, until some familiar voices yanked her back.

"you lucky bitch!" Rebecca yelled, as she and Michelle reached her.

"i can't believe it!" Michelle followed.

Miranda just stood there and started to laugh silently "i almost nailed it" she thought to herself.

"so that is baby's daddy huh?" Rebecca asked.

"shut up!" Miranda yelped "you want everyone to find out?" 

"they all will, eventually" she pointed.

"eventually, but not today" Miranda pointed.

"still, in the scale of hotness from one to ten, that hunk gets like a trillion" Rebecca jested.

"agreed" Michelle complemented "find out if mister bulls-eye has a brother or cousin will you?".

Miranda could not help but laugh at their friends stupidity.

"mister bulls-eye just decided to stop playing coy" Miranda stated.

"what do you mean?" Rebecca inquired.

"doesn't matter, i'll fill you guys in later" she said "for now lets just hope nothing else happens".

"what else could happen?" a voice said.

Miranda found William coming to them from behind Michelle's back.

"Hello William" she hailed him "i didn't know you were coming today".

"i wouldn't miss the chance to finally find out what your taste in men is like" he declared.

"i think this conversation is not for us to hear" Rebecca declared, she and Michelle excused themselves and started to move elsewhere.

"well...that is what my taste in men looks like" she stated, a little annoyed.

"so i see" he said, with a stony look on his face.

"as you can see, it has nothing to do with your kind, he is..."

"unrefined" William interrupted her "even if you dress him with a million dollars, he still screams blue collar all over"

"it's not like my tastes have anything to do with you" Miranda refuted, for some reason, she felt offended when William attacked Josh.

Miranda knew just exactly where to hit him, as William's face abandoned the unfazed look and retorted to an angry one.

"i just can't figure out what it is you see in that guy" he blurted in frustration "you know how i feel about you, and yet, you chose...that...over me?"

"the fact that you don't know means i chose well, William, and if you'll excuse me, i have to go and rescue my boyfriend from my father and his friends" she announced, and started heading towards where Josh and her father were.

William just watched her leave.

He started to move towards the inside, moving in direction of the door.

"is everything alright, Sir?" a man dressed in black standing by the door asked.

"no, nothing is alright" he answered.

He turned around just before he opened the door "Casper" he said.

"Yes, Sir?"

"find out everything there is to know about that guy" he said, while pointing at Josh, who already had Miranda clung to his arm "don't leave anything out" he ordered.

Casper turned and took his cellphone from inside his jacket's pocket, and took a picture of Josh.

"you will have the information by tomorrow" he declared.

"good, we are leaving now" William ordered, Casper just nodded and proceded to get William's coat from the closet and helped William to put it in place.

William just glared in Josh's and Miranda's direction alternatively before disappearing behind the door.