Chapter Two

Through the mirror, Kyra could see her mother go through her box of jewelries, searching for the right one that would suit perfectly with Kyra's purple sari. Her maid, Poojah, was working expertly on her hair, making certain that no stray strand would escape the tight braid she was now making.

"How about this one?" She tore her eyes from Poojah and stared at her mother's hand. In them was a diamond necklace that her father had gifted to her when she turned twelve. It was his way of telling the world he had everything he could possibly ever need. Kyra, being his only child, and the heir to his wealth, was always adorned with the best money could offer. And while her mother was a victim of his abuse, Kyra was the object of his worship and adoration.

"A bit too much, don't you think, Maa?" She laughed, knowing the answer her mother would give even before the words were making their way out of her mouth.

"Nothing is too much for you, Kyra."

"But a simple dinner, Maa? I wouldn't want him thinking I'm materialistic." She frowned.

Her mother was making her way across the room, diamond in hand. She placed it carefully around Kyra's neck and observed her image through the mirror. "I wouldn't want him thinking you lack anything." She whispered against her hair.

She thought of Vihaan and what he would be like. She knew what he looked like; black hair, green eyes and a face any woman would fall in love with. But his personality? She had no idea. Did his voice carry authority in it like her father's, or was it gentle and soothing like her mother's? Would the sound of his laughter make her desire to laugh along or would it fill her heart with fear? Would he ever learn to love her? Mother had said it was possible; many couples had learned to love each other. Would he learn or would he treat her the same way her father treated her mother; with hatred and the wrath of his fists? She glanced up, her gaze searching for the black spot that covered half of her mother's right eyes earlier when her father had hit her, but she saw nothing beyond the handwork of a professional makeup artist.

Hand in hand, both woman made their way down the stairs leading to the marbled courtyard. Her father stood by the entrance as they approached. He glanced at them once, before turning to face the gates in anticipation of their guests. Kyra and her mother took their place by his side —her mother to his right, and Kyra to his left— and waited patiently for a few minutes.

Would Vihaan change his mind like he had done every other time they were expecting him? Her thoughts were cut short as a white limo, escorted by two black Mercedes trailing behind, made its way around the fountain that stood a little distance from the entrance, and came to a halt before them.

She straighted and plastered a smile on her face. She was about to meet Vihaan.

****

Vihaan sat fuming in the car, his father and mother, only a few inches away. Manipulated and threatened, he was about to make a life time commitment  to a woman he could never love. But it mattered not to anybody. He was the hope of his family's empire, the singular heir, and if he cared one bit about keeping that position, then he was to marry the daughter of a billionaire. His future had been determined when he was just twelve years old. Desperate to escape, he kept as much distance from Kyra and her family as was humanly possible, and when he was old enough, he had gone abroad to study and had fallen in love.

Not only was his parents furious that the girl he was in love with wasn't Indian, but they were furious that he had allowed the thought of breaking his engagement to Kyra to cross his mind.

Vihaan knew what type of woman Kyra would be like. He had met many Indian girls like her; submissive, gentle, quiet, weaklings, without a mind of their own —pitiable creatures. He didn't want a woman who would agree with his every move. On the contrary, he wanted a woman who would challenge him, someone who would dare to disobey him. The knowledge that he would never get that with this Kyra girl, added to his fury.