Chapter Fourteen

Her fingers came in contact with a stiff surface as her eyes pulled open. Waiting for her vision to clear up, it became quite apparent who it was that laid still beside her. It took a second for Kyra to realize that she was in Vihaan's arms and the realization brought a flood of memories her way that left her cheeks burning with embarrassment.

Her gaze settled on his face, taking in his features for the first time in the weeks they had lived as husband and wife. It was like she was seeing him for the first time, and perhaps she was? It was the first time she noticed the slight crookedness of his nose, as if it had been broken in the past. Tiny over-night beards dusted his jawline and chin, and his pale pink lips stood slightly apart as his warm breath tickled her face. For a second, the image of his lips slowly moving down the length of her body, flashed through her mind, it's tenderness filling her body with warmth.

Blushing, Kyra found herself looking around for possible ways to wiggle out of his grip, but his arm slung over her shoulder made it impossible to escape with waking him up and running the risk of offending him in the process.

There were several excuses she had not to leave his arms, but the most prominent was the odd feeling of joy she derived from the feel of his skin against hers.

Releasing a soft sigh of satisfaction, her eyelids snapped shut, and she reveled in his closeness, almost wishing the moment could last forever, yet knowing it wouldn't —Vihaan would wake up any moment from now and shove her aside. She should know better than expect what happened last night to mean anything to him.

Movement beside her caused her eyelids to tear apart once more, her gaze immediately coming to settle on Vihaan's smiling face. Embarrassed, she glanced down.

“Hi.” He whispered.

Confused, she glaced down at the sheets. She didn't like the way his eyes beholding hers, made her feel breathless.

She felt his fingers settle on her face, gently lifting her chin up so she could look at him.

“Kyra.”

He withdrew his fingers, leaving a strange tingling sensation on her skin.

As she stared at him, she saw so much compassion in his eyes. Or was it pity? Did he pity her because she lost her mother? Would he return to being aloof and unkind the moment she was done mourning her mother? She didn't know. She didn't know anything anymore and the realization shocked her. A few hours ago, she was demanding a divorce. Now, as his warm breath tickled her forehead, she wanted the moment to last forever.

Vihaan's hold on her loosened and before she could figure out what was happening, he was no longer a few inches above her, he was staring right at her, his eyes digging into her very soul. She tried to keep her heartbeat regulated as he leaned forward, the feel of his breath against her skin, leaving tiny goose pimples in its wake. His lips were only less than an inch away from hers and all she could think about was leaning forward.

But she was confused. It felt like a second ago, he was telling her how much he wanted nothing to do with her and how she could never be his wife. He even swore he'd never consummate their marriage. What changed? How could anything change within such a short period?

“We started off on the wrong foot.” Vihaan began, as if reading her thought. His eyes never left hers. “I'm sorry —I'm sorry for being a terrible husband.”

Kyra's breath ceased in that second, taken aback by the words that were leaving Vihaan's lips. She couldn't begin to believe the fact that she was hearing words she never thought she'd hear.

“Do you believe in second chances, Kyra?”

She stared at him, unable to speak past the emotions that washed over her in that very second.