Chapter Twenty Nine

It broke Vihaan's heart to watch his mother break down in tears before him as she pleaded with him not to leave home, but he couldn't. The longer he stayed under the same roof with his abominable father, the harder it became to ignore the overwhelming urge to kill him. Everything that had happened in his marriage could be laid solely at the feet of his father who couldn't mind his own business, the result of which was Kyra turning her back completely on Vihaan.

It was impossible to spend a second longer in Kapoor's home.

Maa...”

“Please Vihaan, reconsider.” She wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned her head against his chest as tears fell unrestrained down her face. “I know how difficult your father is but I beg of you not to leave this way.”

Vihaan leaned down and planted a kiss on top of her head.

“Let go, Priyanka.” Kapoor called from across the hall. “Your son's made up his mind and so have I. I won't have a son in my house who will disrespect me every inch of the way and...” Kapoor released a sigh as his eyes settled on something beyond Vihaan. “Here we go, here comes Kyra...”

Vihaan froze. Kyra? Was it possible she was in his house, here to see him? He released his hold around his mother and turned around slowly. True enough, Kyra stood by the entrance dressed in a blue sari, her black mass of hair falling around her shoulders. Vihaan had to smile; he loved seeing her hair down.

“Mr. Sodhi, a word please.” Kyra spoke, her eyes fixed on his father.

“Whatever you need to say, Kyra, can be said here, I have nothi...”

“Fine!” Kyra stormed across the room to where his father stood, her eyes blazing with fury. “It has come to my knowledge that not only are you a lying, conniving, atrocious man who tried to have me killed, you stooped so shamelessly low as to offer money to a woman to claim she was pregnant for Vihaan.”

Vihaan wasn't surprised to hear his father would go to such lengths to try to destroy his marriage to Kyra. Nothing surprised him anymore.

“Is this true, Mr. Sodhi?” Kyra half yelled.

“I do not owe you an explanation.” Kapoor answered, turning his back on Kyra. Kyra took captive of his wrist and yanked his arm until he was facing her, evoking a soft gasp from his mother.

“Yes you do!” Her voice rose a notch. “You, Mr. Sodhi, owe me everything! You connived with my father to ruin my life and I'll be damned if I let you get away with it!” The veins on her neck bulged.

Kapoor inched forward until his face was inches away from Kyra's. “And just what might you do to make me pay, Kyra?” He growled.

Vihaan stepped forward, covering the distance that stood between them until he was standing beside Kyra, his arms wrapped around her shoulder. He could feel her tension and rage as she stood there, glaring at his father.

“That's enough, Father.” Vihaan said firmly. “That's enough.”

“It is.” Kapoor leaned back, his eyes still fixed on Kyra. “Get off of my property,” His gaze shifted to Vihaan. “Both of you, right now.” He turned his back and walked out on all of them, pulling Vihaan's mother along.

Kyra's shoulder's drooped and her body trembled where she stood beside him. Vihaan could tell she was fighting the urge to weep so he turned fully to her and wrapped his arms around her. He felt her lean further into him, her head coming to rest on his chest.

For a few seconds, the world disappeared around them and all he saw was the woman in his arms and all he felt was the way his heart seemed to echo the rhythm of her heart. They were meant for each other and for a second, he wanted to keep fighting for their love. Yet, he knew he couldn't fight for someone who didn't want him; Kyra didn't want him. Perhaps things were too complicated for both of them to deal with? The fact remained that he loved her and that he'd always love her.

“I'm sorry.” She whispered as she pulled away, tears falling down her face. “I'm so sorry, Vihaan.” She shook her head.

Staring at her, Vihaan had to fight the desire to beg her to come away with him, to leave India and the problems that pursued them.

“It's okay.” He touched her face, brushing her tears away.

With a sigh, her eyes settled on something behind him. She frowned. “You're leaving?”

Vihaan nodded solemnly. “Home. I'm not sure where I'm going yet but I can't stay here any longer.”

“You should.” She offered a small smile. “Go somewhere safe, somewhere far.”

Her words hurt much more than he thought anything could ever hurt, proving to him that she didn't want him around, neither did she love him.

He released a breath, turning his attention to his suitcase. Finding the envelope he was looking for, he turned to Kyra and held it out to her.

For a second, she watched the envelope, confusion creasing her face. Her eyes drifted to him as if for confirmation to accept it. Nodding, he waited until she had retrieved it and torn it open, his heart ripping to several pieces as her eyes scanned its content.

He watched as her countenance fell, her eyes snapping up to look at him. Her eyelids seemed to widen and perhaps he was uncertain, but he imagined her eyes clouded with fresh tears.

They stood staring at each other, his heart barely pounding in his chest. The part of him that longed desperately to pull his wife into his arms and kiss her until she swore never to leave him, almost won over the part of him that simply needed for her to be happy. And it had become apparent that he couldn't make her happy. He knew he was the reason for the tears in her eyes —it was his fault Kyra was no longer the kind woman he married, it was his fault she was broken.

“Thank you. Good bye, Vihaan.” She whispered suddenly, turning sharply to walk away.

Vihaan stood there, broken —his life, his happiness, his heart, they were all broken. But that wasn't what hurt the most —he thought, his eyes trailing Kyra's form as she walked away— the worst part was the fact that their marriage was broken legally, for he had finally signed the divorce papers.

*

Tears stained Kyra's pillow until the entire pillow was soaking wet. How did she get here? How did everything turn out so badly? Why couldn't she be happy? Why couldn't she have a life with Vihaan?

She wrapped her arms around her pillow and buried her face in it, her tears falling unrestrained down her face. She told herself over and over again that leaving Vihaan was the price she needed to pay in order to avenge her mother's death and ruin her father who ruined her life, but she couldn't push aside the thought that she was making a terrible decision. Her father wanted her divorce from Vihaan and he had gotten it. Not only did Vihaan sign the divorce papers, he was most likely leaving India and she was never going to see him again. How was she going to go on living without him? She sobbed.

Kyra knew she couldn't afford to be an emotional wreck, not now anyway, not when a storm was brewing and her father was most likely planning a counter-attack against her. She needed to be strong if she was going to win this fight and if she truly loved Vihaan, she wouldn't try to drag him into her messy life. The farther away from her Vihaan was, the easier it would be to fight her father.

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.