Chapter Twenty Four

Poojah watched Kyra as she sat silently on Poojah's little colt. Kyra's gaze was fixed on nothing in particular and her lips kept moving, even if no words were being formed.

Vihaan! He tried to kill me!”

Poojah remembered Kyra's ramblings the day she arrived, three days ago. While it had taken a while to get Kyra to stop crying long enough to explain what she meant, Poojah had finally gotten the message her friend tried to pass across.

With compassion filling her heart for the broken woman who knelt at her feet and refused to be consoled, Poojah went to her knees with Kyra, wrapped her arms around her and wept with her.

Kyra didn't deserve any of this but even Poojah was powerless to do anything about it. She couldn't take Kyra's pain away neither could she take the problem that loomed over head —Mr. Jindal would begin his search for Kyra and Poojah knew it was only a matter of time before Mr. Jindal's search brought him to her front door. As it was, Poojah had already been absent from work for two days, it wouldn't take Kyra's father long to connect the dots.

Making her way to Kyra, Poojah sat beside her on the colt and wrapped her arms around her. She felt Kyra's head settle on her shoulder.

“I can't promise you everything will be alright, Kyra, I'm not going to lie to you.” Poojah kissed her cheek and glanced at her. Taking Kyra's hands captive, Poojah stared into her eyes. “But you, Kyra, are going to beat this,” Kyra shook her head violently to Poojah's words but Poojah wasn't done yet. “Yes you will!” She insisted, giving Kyra's hand an encouraging squeeze. “I don't know how I know this, but I do. And when you beat this, then you Kyra, will be alright.”

Poojah watched helplessly as tears cascaded down her friend's face.

All around the small room, Poojah's siblings went about yelling and throwing things at each other. While she loved her siblings, she almost wished she could make them disappear so Kyra would be more comfortable. But even with the commotion going on around her, Kyra didn't seem to notice.

Kyra's gaze dropped to rest on her fingers. “The store...” She murmured.

Poojah, not wanting to press Kyra for an explanation, sat there and waited until her friend was willing to elaborate. It took Kyra almost twenty minutes, to continue.

“Aditi and I had to go to the store because Mr. Sodhi wanted...” She shook her head, tears spilling down her cheeks. “I can't even remember what he wanted!” She let out a small laugh.

Lifting her gaze to Poojah, it almost seemed like she was staring into the bitter soul of Kyra.

“I almost wish I hadn't forgotten the money Mr. Sodhi handed me that morning. I almost wish I hadn't gone back for it. Am I crazy, Poojah?” Pain reflected in Kyra's eyes. “Am I crazy for wishing Vihaan had succeeded in killing me? Am I crazy for preferring to die thinking that he actually loved me rather than live with the pain of knowing he feels nothing for me?”

Poojah saw the desperation in Kyra's eyes and it broke her heart.

“No, Kyra,” Poojah shook her head. “You're not crazy”

Kyra heaved a breath, her gaze moving momentarily to rest on Poojah's screaming siblings as they struggled for the custody of a broken toy.

Deciding she had had enough of their noise, Poojah turned to them. “Outside! Now!” She ordered and watched as all except one of her siblings, scrambled out of the front door.

“But Maa said we shouldn't play outside!” Preeti, Poojah's eight year old sister complained, her arms crossed.

“Well, Maa's not here so go!”

“I hate playing outside! It's filthy and dirty.” Preeti insisted, now making her way to the colt where she settled beside Kyra. “Did you like playing outside when you were younger?” Preeti raised curious brown eyes to Kyra.

Poojah was about to scold her pesky sister when Kyra's face broke into a small smile. “I wish I got the opportunity,” Kyra shook her head. “But in all honesty, I liked being with my Maa and having her braid my hair and paint my hands and feet with henna.”

“Me too!” Preeti squealed. She turned to give Poojah a sour look. “See?!” She stuck out her tongue, evoking laughter from Kyra. Turning back to Kyra, Preeti stroked her hair. “Is your Maa as pretty as you are?”

Poojah cringed inwardly at the mention of Anja.

With a small nod, Kyra fought against her tears. “She had the most beautiful skin and hair in all of India...” Her voice momentarily trailed off with her emotions. “She died a few months ago.”

“Is that why you're sad?” Preeti's countenance fell as well.

Kyra nodded swiftly. “If Maa was here, things would have turned out differently.”

“Kyra...” Reaching out, she gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

Preeti reached forward with chubby fingers and touched Kyra's chest. Then, she placed her other hand on her own chest. “My Maa says she's always here even when it seems like she's far away.” She smiled. “I'm sure your Maa's here too.” She tapped Kyra's chest lightly.

Poojah could see from Kyra's countenance that something was changing. It wasn't as though Kyra's sadness had lifted, it was something else, something strong and defiant. Kyra almost seemed taller. Poojah might not have been completely sure, but her friend looked very determined.

*

The next morning, Kyra's eyes pulled open and she struggled out of bed feeling cramped. Bodies of little children scattered around the room, making it almost impossible to see the floor boards. Poojah laid sound asleep on the colt that she had shared with Kyra for four days.

Maneuvering her way through the room as slowly as possible, Kyra found her brown sari by the corner, wrapped in a bag, as well as her gold bracelet and diamond wedding ring.

Her gaze searched the room swiftly, coming to rest on a piece of paper and a pen. She scribbled a short note for Poojah, explaining the fact that she needed to leave, then she took her diamond wedding band and gold bracelet and placed it on top the letter, leaving them behind as a gift for Poojah. Kyra instructed Poojah in the letter to take the items and have them appraised before she could sell them. Since her marriage had turned out to be an entire scam, she figured someone else could benefit from it. Kyra knew that she couldn't pay Poojah's family for their kindness but she hoped to change their fortune as much as she could. 

Fully dressed, she made her way out of the front door and closed it silently behind her.

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.