Chapter Twenty Six

Vihaan didn't stop —not for the homeless person who yelled obscenities at him as he sped down the road, not for the red light that indicated he needed to stop when he got to the intersection, and certainly not for the car he almost rammed into. He seemed to have been driving as fast as his heart took to beating in his chest. Tears fell unrestrained down his face, blurring his vision, and he didn't try to stop it.

A part of him wanted to ram his car into a building, killing himself. A part of him wanted to ram the car into his father, killing him and then turning to kill himself. There was also a part that wanted to kill Kyra's father and then kill himself.

Yet, Vihaan couldn't take his own life. He knew dying or living, whichever one he chose, would have the same effect on him without Kyra; emptiness.

Vihaan had been willing to stay, to protest until Kyra saw reason and came home with him but her declaration had weakened his resolve; she didn't love him. Nothing he did could make her love him and the thought of losing her love frightened him.

He'd never get to see her smile again. He knew he was the reason for her tears. He was the reason for her pain. He was the reason for her heart attack. Him! It was all him!

His body trembled at the thought. How was it that just a few months ago, he despised the thought of marriage, kicking against it and longing for the day he'd be divorced? And now, the thought of not being married anymore nearly drove him to the verge of madness.

Vihaan pressed hard on the accelerator until he couldn't tell how fast it was he was going. One minute he was driving at a dangerous speed, the next, his entire world was tumbling until he was left laying flat on his back in a pool of his own blood.

*

Emotionally and physically drained, by the time Kyra pushed the door to her new apartment open, she only cared to rest her aching body.

She had sent her lawyer to extract her things from the Sodhi mansion earlier that day, afraid she'd run into Vihaan if she went herself. Considering the fact that she had no money of her own, she had to sell her expensive jewelry in order to pay for her apartment.

Her eyes traveled the length of the unfamiliar room. It was a space in an apartment building and while she didn't like the thought of having to live so close to many people, she didn't think she had a choice.

Kyra had barely closed the door behind her when her cell phone chirped in her purse. She ignored it —she wasn't in the mood to deal with Vihaan and his lies, neither did she have the emotional stamina to even engage in a conversation with him.

Stepping into the room, the phone chirped again. She slammed the door loudly and released an exasperated breath. Pulling the phone out of her purse, she checked for a caller ID but found none. Curious, she accepted the call.

“Mrs Sodhi?” She heard an unfamiliar voice on the other end. “Hello? This is an emergency Ma'am. I'm calling from the National Hospital, Delhi. Your husband, Mr Vihaan Sodhi was involved in an accident...”

The words struck her, knocking the air out of her lungs until her grip on the phone weakened and it crashed to the floor.

It was like time stopped and everything else disappeared —everything but the unfamiliar voice of the stranger telling her that Vihaan was in an accident. Every limb in her body felt weak, several emotions tumbling over each other until she was nearly certain she would run mad. Yet, she couldn't run mad, neither could she give in to her weakness. She couldn't stand here and allow shock keep her from getting to Vihaan, for all she knew, he was dying...

Clasping her hand over her mouth to stop her sob, she clutched her stomach; Vihaan was dying and it was most likely all her fault.

Forcing one trembling foot after the other forward, she made her way out of her apartment and raced down the empty hallway and out of the building.

*

The loud beeping of the heartrate machine that sat beside Vihaan's bed was the only thing that acted as a sign that he was still alive.

Kyra's hand clutched tightly to Vihaan's hand and her eyes never left his sleeping form. She could feel her warm tears run down her face as she stared at him, fighting to keep her composure. How did everything turn out so badly? How did they move from being happy, to fighting for their lives, to fighting each other? She had lost everything —her mother, her father, and her marriage. But she couldn't lose Vihaan. And while it felt like the world was closing in on her, while it felt like she was fighting a lost cause, she knew she wanted him here, perhaps not beside her but with her.

“Vihaan.” She whispered, leaning forward and brushing her lips against his limp fingers. “Don't die, please.”

It was all she could say —plead with him not to go. She might have survived losing her mother but with the way her heart took to beating dangerously in her chest as she stared at the love of her life lying unconscious before her, she knew the moment his heart stops beating, hers will stop as well. So she clung to him, hoping he'd feel her hand in his and know she was here. Hoping he'd feel how desperately she needed him. Hoping he'd know that her entire world depended on his survival.

“I love you, Vihaan.” She cried. “Please... I love yo—”

Something moved then, stopping her flow of words. Gasping, she sat upright and glanced up at him, her eyelids widening as her gaze came to rest on his tired green eyes.

“I love you too, Kyra.”

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.