Chapter Seventeen

Pain shot up Vihaan's arm muscles as his fist made contact with its target —landing squarely on Kyra's father's jaw. Vihaan didn't stop to think for another second as he landed a second blow on Mr. Jindal's jaw.

Rage exploded in his heart, pumping him with enough energy to murder the monster that sat trapped before him. Mr. Jindal put his hands on Kyra! He put his filthy hands on Vihaan's wife! He gritted his teeth at the thought, his vision blurring up with rage as he flexed his hand and aimed for another punch, missing Mr. Jindal's nose by only an inch, for the old fool was fast enough to move out of the way this time.

“Vihaan!”

He heard his name but ignored it. Raising his fist again, it connected with its target, drawing blood.

Seeing Kyra's father hit her filled Vihaan with dread. He should have been here to protect her. He should have shoved the old man down that balcony that evening. He should have barred him from going an inch close to Kyra. There were a lot of things Vihaan could have done to avoid the old man laying his hands on Kyra but Vihaan had neglected to do those things, leaving his wife vulnerable.

Vihaan would have continued with his attack if Kyra's loud cries hadn't pulled him out of his madness. He pushed himself off of her father and rose to his feet, his eyes immediately searching the room for her. His gaze finally settled on her, her knees drawn up and her head buried between them.

He walked over to where she sat crying and sat down beside her, pulling her against himself. His heart pounded dangerously in his chest, grief filling his heart as he thought of what she had to endure in his absence.

Did she always suffer abuse in the hands of her father? Was she accustomed to his fists? Vihaan knew quite well that the answer to those questions could cause him to race across the room and finish what he started with Kyra's father.

The urge to murder her father was so overwhelming, he knew if he stayed in the room a moment longer, he'd do it. So, he rose to his feet, pulling Kyra up with him, and led her out of the door —away from the monster that was her father.

*

The dinner table was unusually silent that evening with nothing but the occasional sound the cutlery made as it made contact with the plate.

Kapoor's gaze traveled to his insane son, who had the audacity to lay a hand on Mr. Jindal, Kyra's father. Kapoor had been stunned out of his mind to walk into the living room a few hours ago to find his son atop Mr. Jindal, swinging blows at him. While Kapoor still had no idea what transpired, he knew it had everything to do with the woman who sat silently beside Vihaan —the woman Vihaan was foolish enough to fall in love with— and if Kapoor had any doubt in the past as to how far his son was willing to go for Kyra, his doubt was put to rest.

Thankfully, Mr. Jindal's injuries were minimal compared to the amount of blood drawn by Vihaan. Much more than that, Kapoor had somehow managed to convince Mr. Jindal to join them for a small party they would host in honor of Mr. Jindal —a party Kapoor scheduled in order for his son to offer a public apology to Mr. Jindal for his unruly behavior.

But Kapoor knew Vihaan would never apologize. In fact, getting Vihaan to join the family for dinner that evening was a battle. Getting Vihaan to apologize to Mr. Jindal would be war.

Still, Kapoor could not afford for his relationship with Mr. Jindal to end so recklessly due to his son's foolishness.

“We will all ignore your childish behavior earlier in the day, Vihaan.” Kapoor began. Vihaan glared at him in response. “I am throwing a party in honor of Mr. Jindal, a party you and Kyra must attend...”

“You must be senile if you think I will let that crazy old man one inch close to my wife!” Vihaan roared.

“You think this is a joke, Vihaan?!!” A frown settled on Kapoor's face, his fingers curling into a fist as he toyed with the idea of punching Vihaan in the face.

“Kapoor, Vihaan, enough!” His wife spoke for the first time, her gentle voice easing his anger for a second. “Enough of this madness!”

Sucking in a breath, he leaned back against his seat. “If you think you can lay a hand on one of the most powerful men in the country and get away with it, you're the one who's senile.”

“We'll go to the party,” Kyra finally spoke, her hand resting on Vihaan's arm, her eyes pleading with him. She nodded solemnly. “We'll go to the party, then I'll say goodbye to my father.”

*

Though Kyra's eyes were shut, tears still managed to make their way down her cheeks, wetting her face as she laid beside him. Vihaan ran his fingers through her hair, his eyes scanning her face, waiting for her to look at him. He need her to know he was here. He needed her to know she could count on him, she could trust him. He wanted her to know he'd stand for her, that he was her man, he'll protect her because he loved her. He knew very well that she only agreed to attend the party because she was afraid and he wanted desperately to ease her fear.

He pressed his lips against her neck before cupping her face in his hands and kissing her lips.

A few seconds passed before her eyes pulled open. He could see clearly the sadness and fear that reflected in them.

He offered her an encouraging smile and leaned forward, drawing her against himself. She wrapped her arms around him, snuggling close to him while her head rested against his chest. He could feel his heart beat wildly for her —an untamed animal that could do anything to protect the woman in his arms.

“I'm sorry.” He whispered, knowing the blame could be laid at his feet.

“It's not your fault, Vihaan.” She muttered against his chest, her voice filled with grief. “None of it is your fault.” She pulled away and glanced up at him.

He searched her eyes. He wanted to ask the reason her father attacked her but decided against it; he needed her to forget the event that transpired earlier.

She leaned forward, her forehead touching his, her breath mingling with his. As he stared into her eyes, he knew he wanted to protect her. He knew he never wanted to stare into such sad eyes, ever again.

“I'll protect you, Kyra,” He said, staring into her eyes, his very soul connecting with hers. “I'll protect you with all that I am.”

Leaning forward, he pressed his lips to her warm lips, her lips parting slightly to welcome his. His fingers gently explored her neck, gliding slowly up to her jaw, before coming to rest on her wet cheek. He smoothened her cheek, wiping her tears as their kiss deepened and her body pressed further against his —he would protect her, no matter what.

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

A/N
I'm trying to get in as much chapters as i can as the days progress, i just don't have all the time in the world but trust me, i do not enjoy having to stay so long without posting either.

Thank you so much for reading. Small reminder to vote by clicking that cute star button at the bottom of your screen.