3

[Chapter Three]

Noah, Max, Dylan and I sit in silence for a moment before Max speaks up.

"So..." He looks at me for my name.

"Nevaeh."

"...Neveah, where did you move here from?" He questions.

"New Zealand."

"How old are you?"

"Seventeen."

"Favourite food?"

"Pizza."

"Favourite-"

"Okay, Max, shut up." Dylan stops his best friend from running his mouth. "You're pissing her off." I look at the blonde haired boy in shock. How does he know I'm getting pissed off? As if he read my mind, he answers. "You're clenching your fists."

I immediately unclench them and drop them to my sides. "Oh." I then look at Max, who is pouting, then back to Dylan. "Does he always talk this much?"

Noah speaks up, his face emotionless. "Unfortunately."

I wonder what goes on inside his brain. I mean, how can he be so emotionless all the time?

Just then, Ms Field struts back into the room. "Alright, you may go."

I immediately gather my stuff and walk out, starting the twenty minute walk to my house.

Ten minutes later, I see the basketball court I walk past everyday.

-FLASHBACK-

"Hey, Nevaeh?"

"Yeah?"

"Promise me, that no matter what happens, you'll keep playing basketball."

"Heaven-"

"Please, Vaeh!"

"I-I promise, Heav."

-FLASHBACK END-

I shake my head, ridding my mind of the memory that appears in my head every time I walk past.

I broke my promise.

I broke my promise to Heaven.

I broke my promise that I made with my dying sister!

Why the hell am I just realising this now?!

I was so caught up in my thoughts, I didn't even realise that I had reached my house.

Until I walk right into the front door.

I curse under my breath, rubbing my forehead as I unlock the door and step inside.

I sigh in annoyance as the familiar smell of cigarettes hit my nose.

I shake my head when I see my mother passed out on the couch, an empty bottle of Vodka in her hand.

I throw a random blanket I find on the floor over her before walking up the stairs.

I head into my room, shutting and locking the door.

I slowly walk over and stand in front of the dusty full body mirror in the corner of my room.

I pick up a t-shirt from the ground and wipe the mirror.

I take a deep breath and close my eyes.

And pull the hoodie off.

I open my eyes and stare at the girl looking back at me.

Olive skin, wavy light brown hair, dimples, and bright blue eyes.

Exactly the same as Heaven, except she had bright green eyes.

I push back the memories of my sister and slip my shirt off.

There, going from my my left shoulder to my lower abdomen, is a large scar.

A few months after Heaven died, my so called mother got drunk and stoned off her ass, shattered a whiskey bottle and cut me using a large shard.

I couldn't even go to the hospital. I had to disinfect, stitch and dress it myself.

This scar is going to be with me forever.

Another reminder that my mother hates me.

I shake my head sadly and slip my t-shirt back on.

Suddenly, I hear a knock on my door.

I run downstairs and look through the peephole before opening it.

"Hey." Megan smiles at me. "Want to go to Pizza Palace for dinner then head to my house for a sleepover?"

I look over my shoulder at my mother who is snoring away.

She won't give a shit.

I turn back to Megan and smile. "Let me get my hoodie."