40

[Chapter forty]

-Nevaeh-

"Hey, Vaeh, my best friend in the whole entire world—"

"What do you want, Max?" I roll my eyes, cutting him off.

"Can I talk to you, please?" He pleads.

I sigh. "Fine."

We slow down and trail a few feet behind the rest of the group as we continue our walk out of the woods.

"Speak." I demand simply.

"Does Megan like me?" He questions. "As in...like-like me?"

I abruptly stop walking and stare at him with a bitch face right as we reach the edge of the woods, the campus in clear view. He also stops walking.

"Does she like you?" I repeat slowly. "Max, you are the stupidest person I have ever met."

I start walking again, leaving him at the edge of the woods.

I hear his footsteps as he rushes to catch up with me.

"Well? Does she?" He whispers.

I shake my head in disbelief. "You oblivious motherfucker."

"What?!" He whispers shouts.

"Of course she likes you!" I quietly shout back. "If she didn't, I wouldn't have told you to stop being a pussy and tell her."

His face breaks out with a large smile. "Okay. Okay. I'm going to tell her. How do I tell her?!"

I chuckle. "Take her out for ice cream, then to the park. Walk her back to our dorm, then tell her."

He grins, hugging me tightly, picking me up off the ground. "Thanks, Vaeh. Love you."

"Love you, too, Max." I smile softly as he puts me down and runs ahead to catch up with Megan. He says a few things and she smiles and nods before they walk off. "Hey—WAIT! I DIDN'T MEAN RIGHT NOW! TAKE A SHOWER FIRST, YOU DUMB FUCKS!"

I sigh when they're out of sight and don't seem to hear what I said even though I was yelling loud enough for China to hear me.

Noah and Dylan slow down and wait for me to catch up before we continue walking again.

"What was that about?" Dylan asks, the boys walking on either side of me.

"He's going to tell her that he likes her." I tell them.

"He's going to tell her?" Noah questions. "About fucking time. We've been trying to get him to tell her for eight years now."

I choke on air. "Eight years?"

Dylan nods. "He's liked her since middle school."

"Damn." I whistle lowly. "Well, she's liked him for a while, too. Since ninth grade, I think."

"He better not chicken out." Dylan mumbles.

"If he does, I'll throw my shoe at his face." Noah counters, making me chuckle.

"Please don't." I laugh. "He's not going to look as pretty with a big ass shoe mark on his face."

Dylan and Noah both chuckle as we make it to where the path separates and leads to the girls' dorm building and the boys' dorm building.

"You go ahead." Noah turns to Dylan. "I'm going to walk Carter back to her dorm."

"Great," Dylan claps his hands. "I get the shower first."