24

[Chapter twenty-four]

--Noah--

"Carter!" I let go of my nose, grabbing a hoodie from behind the door and running out of the house, slipping on a random pair of shoes which were sitting on the front porch.

Where the hell would she go?!

The cemetery.

*~*

She's not here!

Where the hell would she go?!

She hasn't told me about any special places. I don't think she has any.

The only place I know about is--

No. She wouldn't run to the next town over.

Oh who the hell am I kidding?! Of course she would!

It's only an hour and a half run, she would definitely go there.

"Carter, I'm going to kick your ass!" I yell into the air as I run in the direction of Riverhead, not thinking to go to Max's house and get the Jeep instead.

*~*

--Nevaeh--

I stare up at the sky as I lie in the middle of the field.

Why did I punch him in the face?!

"Ugh, stupid!" I shout, slapping my forehead.

It's not that I don't like him, because believe me, I do.

But I don't know how long I'm going to be here.

My doctor said I'm not going to live past nineteen.

When I first found out I had cancer, I didn't care that I was going to die.

I was fifteen. It was a few months before we moved to America.

My mum doesn't know, but I know that if she did, she wouldn't be able to handle it. She wouldn't be able to handle losing another child.

That's why I still care for her. Most kids would hate their parents if they were treated like I am, but my mum's the only family I have left, apart from my aunt who lives in New Zealand. Of course, I never told her about the situation with my mum because I knew she would take me away from her.

I wasn't worried about dying. I had no one. That is, until I moved and met Megan. Then a couple years later, three idiots forced their way into my life.

I was fine, not having anyone, because that meant nobody would be hurting when I left, but now I have four people I love, who have no idea I'm sick.

I know Dylan and Max will understand. Megan will be pissed at me for not telling her but she'll understand.

Noah? He's lost too many people already.

I can't tell him I like him.

I can't get closer to him than I already am.

He needs a girl who'll always be by his side, comfort him, make him happy, make him smile at just the thought of her.

He needs a girl who's good enough for him.

I'm not that girl.

"Carter!"

I sit up at the sound of Noah's familiar voice.

I don't bother to put my hood up.

He's already seen me. What's the point?

I look over my shoulder and see his figure running towards me.

"I am going to kill you." He growls as he grabs my wrist and pulls me up, hugging me to his chest.

He lets go a few seconds later.

"Are you crazy?!" He shouts. "Do you know how dangerous it is to run to the next fucking town over in the middle of the fucking night all by your-fucking-self?!"

I shrug. "Sorry."

"Sorry? Sorry doesn't do shit." He grumbles as he grabs my arm and starts dragging me along. "We're going home."

*~*

"See you tomorrow, pebble." I state as we stand outside my front door.

He ignores me. "We need to talk."

"About what?" I question, acting oblivious.

"Oh, about what we're going to name our future unicorn." He smiles sarcastically before his eyes narrow and he gives me that familiar emotionless expression. "You know what."

"There's nothing to talk about." I shrug, trying to step past him but he grabs my wrist and pulls me back.

"You kissed me then you punched me!"

"I punched you because you pulled my hood off!" I shout at him.

That's not true at all. He didn't pull my hood off.

"It was an accident!" He shouts back. "Why'd you kiss me?!"

"Why'd you kiss back?!" I answer his question with another question.

"Because I like you!" He yells before his eyes soften and he speaks more quietly. "I like you, Carter."

I gulp.

"Well...I don't like you."

Lies.

My heart breaks at the expression on his face.

"But...you kissed me."

"I was caught up in the moment." I say through my teeth.

"I don't believe you."

I stare up at him. "Noah—"

"I don't believe you." He says firmly. "I know you're hiding something from me."

I want to kiss him and tell him the truth so bad.

But I can't.

"Look, I still want to be friends." I speak up after a moment.

His hard eyes stare me down

"Me too." He sighs after a few moments. "I'll bring your stupid electronic doll to school for you."

"Thanks." I give him a small smile. "See you tomorrow, Pebble."

"See you tomorrow, Carter."

*~*

Heyyyy, guyssss!

So, the reason this book is moving so fast, is because I plan on making it a two part story.

And of course, that isn't that end of all the drama, so stay tuned.

-Lee🦄