Chapter 2

Ren's POV

Hamster Nagisa's face lit up at once. "Yeah,you should really watch us swim,Ren-chan! Especially Haru-chan,he's really good at swimming!" Nagisa squealed.

I sweat dropped a little. Frankly I really don't feel like watching people swim,but then what would happen if I said no? Would the hamster cry? I can't have me wrecking my human relations on the first day of school,especially if I'm going to be stuck with this group of people. Nervous shudder.

I reached my conclusion after hurriedly weighing all the pros and cons.

"Uhm.. I guess I'll watch... And please don't add -chan to my name. When's your next practice?" I asked uncomfortably,fingering the pages of my book.

"It's today,after school. We go to our old coach's swimming club since it's too cold to swim in outdoor pools at this time of the year," Makoto informed.

"You used to swim,Ren-senpai? Perhaps you could give me a few tips to improve my time?" Rei chipped in with the conversation,pushing up his red-rimmed glasses.

"I probably can't. I can only swim free. Sorry." I replied.

"You remind me a lot like Haruka-senpai,you know," Kou said,grinning. The said Haruka-senpai looked up from his mackerel and rice(huh,looks edible.. Enough.) and at Kou,then at me. He frowned slightly. Everyone laughed and agreed.

"I'm not like him"

"I'm not like her"

We said in unison. That just made everybody laugh again. Oh,bother.

I sighed. "Ren-senpai didn't you bring a bento?" Rei questioned and gave me a quizzical look. I shook my head vaguely. My home town was Tokyo,so I lived alone in an apartment in Iwatobi when I transferred. The furniture moving had left me exhausted,so I didn't make a bento. Besides,missing a meal or two won't kill me. Nagisa shoved his Iwatobi Cream Bread in my face. 

"Want some,Ren-chan?"

"No..thank you. Please stop calling me Ren-chan,by the way."

Everybody burst out laughing again. Oh boy. I'm going to have a tough time fitting in with them.

---Timeskip---

Haru's POV

School was over. Everybody filed out of their classrooms in torrents,a cacophony of chattering resonating in the halls after a chime of the last bell. I want to swim. Right now. What's taking Makoto so long?

So he was waiting for the Miyamoto girl,the one Gou claimed to be like me.

No,I definitely can pack my things and go to the pool faster than that. 

---timeskip because I can't continue from there pardon me don't kill me take my money---

Third Person POV

The swim club arrived shortly at Iwatobi SC Returns. On the way to the pool,they were greeted by Coach Sasabe,carrying a couple of kickboards.

"Yo! New member,is it?" He asked in his happy-go-lucky tone upon spotting Ren accompanying the rest of the swim club.

"No. I'm just here to watch." Ren said. 

"Can we go to the pool now?" Haru butted in impatiently. Makoto and Nagisa chuckled.

"Oh yeah,feel free. By the way I've something to do today,so I may have to close way earlier than usual." Coach Sasabe said,a little apologetically.

So Haru couldn't swim too long. 

He looked exasperated for a second,but it went as quickly as it came. Haru took off towards the pool,with the other members and Ren following on his heels.

Or maybe not on his heels,since nobody can beat Haru in speed when there's a pool.

Lol.

Ren's POV

I sat on a bench a good distance away from the pool,my chin resting on my palm. To be honest they were pretty good swimmers. After timing Nagisa,Kou plopped down beside me,a sheaf of papers in her hands.

 "Say,Ren-senpai,what'd you think we should do after the pool closes up early? Coach Sasabe said that he needed to close the swimming club early today,which might mean we need to cut our swimming time. Still though,prefectuals are coming and we should train every second we have.." Kou trailed off,thinking deeply. I could practically hear the cogs turning under that thick maroon hair.

"What about softball?" I suggested halfheartedly.

"Well,yes! That might help build arm muscles and increase the speed of the stroke! Then maybe we could do some running,too! Thank you,Ren-senpai!" Kou exclaimed,jotting it down in an instant. 

Wow,she took me seriously. I just randomly said it since softball isn't a bad sport. Well no matter. 

I retrieved a softball,the glove,and the bat from my bag(I always have a set with me,softball is life.),setting them carefully beside me,on standby.

---Timeskip---

"Well see you tomorrow!" Coach Sasabe waved at the Iwatobi Swim Club as he set off on his pizza delivery motorcycle,with Haru looking forlornly at the "Close" sign dangling on the doors.

"Listen up! We can't be neglecting practice because we don't have a pool. Just now,Ren-senpai suggested to play softball. We can play it behind the building,there's a nice space there. Then,we'll do running." Kou announced,hands on her hips. The boys nodded solemnly.

"We don't have enough people for softball." Haru pointed out,still feeling cranky about his pooltime. 

"It doesn't matter,Haruka-senpai. We'll just take turns to bat and pitch. Now come on!" Kou urged,snatching the glove,ball and bat from me,and bustling towards the field behind the building.

Rei was first to pitch,with an overexcited Nagisa whining he wanted to bat first. So he got what he wanted.

Rei was muttering a series of calculations to himself before pitching. Then,with a woosh, he threw the ball. Nagisa swung the bat,hard. 

"Strike!" I called. The hamster probably didn't know what was a strike,as he dropped the bat and began cheering. Kou ordered Makoto to pitch and Haru to bat.

He pitched. 

He swung.

"Strike!" I called monotonously. They were really bad at softball. Maybe this wasn't a really good idea after all. Kou frowned.

"Ren-san,since you play softball,why don't you show us how it's done?" Makoto piped up. 

A brief silence.

I agreed.

Makoto resumed his position and I took over Haru's and observed his movements closely.

The ball came hurling towards me. I hit it.

It sailed over the roof of the swimming club.

"Home run! You're good,Ren-senpai! The ball's went over the building!" Rei applauded.  I managed a small smile and hurried to fetch the ball. Only to find...