Chapter 5

Rin's POV

I saw Sousuke and Gou somewhere along the edge of the pool. A flash of blue.

Damn it,Miss Softball Player is there.

Is Gou introducing them? Man,what a pain. Miss Miyato going around tainting all of my friends. Seems like Sousuke's getting along with her.
This is bad. This is really really bad.

WHATS UP WITH ALL OF GOU'S FRIENDS THEY'RE ALL EITHER GUYS OR JUST PLAIN WEIRD

Should I go over?  I don't want to go anywhere near the Miyato girl but they're having a conversation and I can't have Sousuke getting along with her too. I...

I found my feet walking over to the group.

"Onee-chan! Did you know Sousuke-kun and Ren-senpai knew each other?" Gou just gave me the worst possible news in the world while smiling radiantly.
"What? Why would you be friends with a delinquent girl?"  I elbowed Sousuke in the stomach,wrinkling my nose pointedly at Miss Softball Player.

"That's about the same as asking why he's friends with a delinquent boy." The Miyato girl countered icily,folding her arms and motioning towards me with her chin,clearly stating that I was the said 'delinquent boy'. I made an impatient noise. Then looked at Sousuke for the whole story.

"Oh. I knew her because she st---" Sousuke started.
Then his foot was stepped on by Miss Softball Player. He winced slightly.
I thought of something. A smirk found it's way on my face.

"What about this,Miyato--"

"Miya-moto!" The delinquent girl screeched at me.

"Shut up and listen. You race me." Here,I gestured towards the 100 m pool,then continued,"If you win,you can keep your history quiet,I'll even personally make Sousuke not tell. If I win.. vice versa."

"But.. nee-chan,Ren doesn't have a swimsuit and she wasn't a good swimmer,she told us." Gou said.

"Then it'll be counted as a forfeit,since she doesn't have a swimsuit." I answered simply.

"I do. I brought one,just to be safe if things like this happen. Game's on,shark head." Miyato girl snarled menancingly at me.
Gou obviously saw the disadvantage,shifting uncomfortably from side to side as she watched me. It doesn't matter,because I just want to know. Those two are fishy.

Third person POV

Ren got changed. She removed her ponytail and fitted her swimming cap on her head,strands of her blue hair still visible from the back. Her purple tinted goggles hung from her neck.
She never lost a competition.
"Haru! In the pool. We can compete together,seeing as the girl would probably get into last place." Rin chortled.

  Haru raised his eyebrows a tiny bit.
He stepped onto the starting block. So did Rin. So did Ren.

"On your marks"
"Get set"
"GO!" Everybody shouted together.
Ren had never grasped the underwater phase fully. She didn't have stamina,and they were racing 200m. She lagged behind while underwater. Then all three rose from beneath the surface,swimming the freestyle. As Rin raised his head to get a gasp of air,he was surprised at what he glimpsed. The girl's underwater phase was terrible,but her stroke was swift and light,never hesitating. She was near to placing first with Rin and Haru.
They approached the turn.

Ren accelerated in two shakes of a dragon's tail. Haru was keeping pace neatly. However,Rin's kick left Haru and Ren behind,but the two blue-haired swimmers caught up. They were neck to neck.
Splash.
Their hands slapped the wall.
At the same time.
They drew.

"Damn!" Rin cursed. Haru shook the water out of his hair,ignoring Rin and breathing heavily. Makoto then helped Haru out of the pool,smiling warmly,complimenting him on his swimming.
Ren got her head back after a while. She wearily pulled herself out of the pool,tugging off her swimming cap. Her oxford blue locks cascaded down her shoulders. She looked at Rin,who was having a major self-esteem problem right that moment.
"Hey. Shark head. What'd you say about the bet?" Ren asked,her voice raspy.
"I say.. I'm sorry I ever thought of you as an irritating giraffe who didn't know how to swim." Rin replied,his chest heaving as his breathing rate slowly returned to normal. He lifted his head. He smirked.

"Good. I'll give you my autograph later." Ren said tartly.

"Ren-senpai! Why didn't you say you were such a good swimmer? You were too modest! 'not a really good swimmer to begin with'? Seriously?" Kou cried,shaking Ren backwards and forwards by her shoulders.

"All of you swam really beautifully!" Exclaimed Rei,tipping his glasses higher on his nose. Nagisa nodded along,grinning from ear to ear.

Meanwhile.

"Senpai! Your turn was awesome!" Aiichiro Nitori had been watching the Ren x Haru x Rin race with his junior,Momotarou Mikoshiba,his powder blue eyes big as saucers.
The pair splattered across the floor to meet their senior and team captain.
Apparently,Rin's self-esteem problem had not gone away yet.

"No,it wasn't,Ai. I drew with a girl." Rin grumbled,downcast. His childhood friend with teal eyes and black hair strode over.
"Her reflexes are good and she's lighter than both Nanase and you. So she keeps up fairly easily." Sousuke stood beside Rin,his eyes studying Ren thoughtfully. His focus trailed over to the grumpy,gloomy maroon-haired swimmer who was still ignoring Ai's praises and Momo's exaggerated gestures.

  "Hey Rin. Are you crying?" Sousuke prodded Rin on the shoulder.

"No. I'm not."