Chapter 13

--swim practice--

Third Person POV

   "Guys! Are you all seriously going to swim like this for the prefectuals?  We'll never win to any of the Samezuka swimmers like this!" Kou put her hands on her waist,teetering along the edges of the swimming pool,frowning at the 5 swimming figures that were submerged in the crystal blue water. 

Ren slapped her hand onto the tile,and hoisted herself out of the pool,sliding her goggles down to let it hang around her neck. "Kou,what was my time?" Ren asked,her voice a bare whisper.

Kou beamed at her,and pressed the stopwatch into Ren's palm. "You're doing well. Your underwater phase has improved,even by the slightest bit. You need to work hard,and you can win the 100m Freestyle race like this." She informed. Amakata-sensei,under the shade of her black parasol,smiled pleasantly and supportively,even though it faltered a little as Ren glanced at her.

As usual,the stopwatch beeped a few times as Ren pressed the little buttons,resetting her time. She tossed it casually at Kou,who caught it deftly,and dived back into the water,cutting through the glassy surface and the reflection of the cherry blossom trees that overlooked the pool rippled as Ren swum swiftly. As usual,she put on her unexpected burst of speed after the underwater phase which she dreaded,and sped past Rei effortlessly,and just a couple of seconds faster than Makoto.

 Kou looked down at her clipboard and papers,which held everyone's swimming style and information. So far,the two blue-headed Freestyle swimmers were at tip-top condition. Haru was naturally good,everyone knew that already,Ren's underwater phase was a mess,though. She couldn't really help it,her legs were really stiff,the team had tried to help her improve it before,and they saw it for themselves.Rei was gradually improving his time,but not improving quickly enough. He also had to work on his stamina. Nagisa's small frame might give him a bit of a disadvantage,but he tended to have speed boosts after the turn,which was good. However,his stroke needed to be more powerful and fast. Makoto swims at a tremendous speed,his stroke was rough and brimming with power,unlike Nagisa,but he needed to work on his stamina and spreading that power out,so that he could enter the 200m Backstroke along with the 100m. After the individual race training,the relay team were to practice their exchanges to save time in a competition. 

Kou pondered over it for a minute,then nodded determinedly. 

10 minutes later

"Ren-senpai? Don't you want to come take a break?" Kou squatted down by the edge of the swimming pool,looking curiously at the female swimmer. Two lanes across from Ren,Haru was floating on the water on his back. 

"One more lap,and I'll be off. I won't be in the relay,anyway."  Ren said,her eyes crinkling at the sides as she concentrated on swimming. Kou leaned back a little to duck the splashes of water.

-------------------------Time Skip because I haven't done one for ages----------------------

"I'm good." Ren said,and she climbed out of the pool,tripping slightly over her own feet. The late afternoon light was dimming.

"You're free to go." Kou scribbled something on her sheaf of papers,and gave Ren permission to leave.

Ren exited the changing room in her full school uniform,waved a lazy goodbye to the swim club,and disappeared off into the distance. A few seconds of silence only interrupted by the buzzing of bugs hung in the air. "Let's get practicing,shall we?" Makoto smiled,clapping his hands together. Nagisa punched his fist into the air and whooped,"Relay practice,here we go!" They formed their line,Makoto jumping into the water first,to prepare to start his backstroke. Nagisa stood on the starting block. Kou blew her whistle once. Makoto grasped the metal bars attached to the starting block,getting ready to spring backwards and swim.