Chapter 4

Third Person POV

Rin met up with Haru and the rest just yesterday.

"Haru. We're going to race. Tomorrow. At the joint practice. Don't be late."  He'd said,his red eyes looking into Haru's deep blue ones.

"I don't care about winning." Haru had answered,but he too,gazed directly back at Rin,almost determinedly.

It was the day of the joint practice. Kou,or Gou,whichever you want to call her,since this is author-chan speaking and not someone else's POV,was a little open about her enthusiasm.

Understatement of the year.

I'm not going to write her weird squeals down because it's just awkward. Take my money.

Ren had a book open,while Kou clung onto her elbow,fantasizing about her.. favorite thing. Ren wasn't listening anyway. She'd learned a way to block out Kou's off-topic chattering,in a record of 2 days upon meeting Kou. Someone give her a medal.

They were waiting for the rest of the swim club,Ren being dragged to the meeting spot by none other than Kou,who was overexcited about going to Samezuka earlier than usual. "..Samezuka is a swimming powerhouse and the swimmers there,just wait till you see,Ren-senpai! They have amaz--- Oh! Rei-kun,Nagisa-kun,Haruka-senpai,Makoto-senpai!" 

The remaining members of the swim club arrived,after much waiting. 

"Remind me again why I'm following you to your joint practice?" Ren mumbled darkly to Kou.

"Didn't you listen? This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! ~" Kou reasoned before going into a fit of giggles.

"Can someone save me?" Ren pleaded exasperatedly,pushing her oxford blue hair out of the way as Kou pulled on Ren's arm excitedly.
Ren's dark blue eyes skated over the swimmers,who either laughed or shrugged nonchalantly,defying her call of help.
Ren found herself wedged tightly in between Kou and Haru on the train to Samezuka. She sighed.

--timeskip--

Ren's POV

We passed through the giant metal gates of Samezuka Academy,making our way to the swimming pool,where the splashes of water could be heard from afar. Hamster boy bounded ahead and nudged the doors apart.

"Gou-san!"

I heard the sound of feet slapping across the wet ceramic floor,and an orange-haired male launched himself in front of Kou,whirling Hamster Boy to the side,hyperventilating.
What happened to "no running near the pool" , I don't know,but it seems like ginger forgot that.
"Momo!" The deep growl of Kou's brother rang out,echoing off the walls. Seconds later he casually strode over,enveloping the ginger known as "Momo" in a bone-crushing headlock, pulling him out of the way. Huh. I raised an eyebrow. So I actually could learn a few tips from shark boy.
Ginger boy stood to one side,seemingly crestfallen he didn't tell Kou the first place he washes when he showers. The Matsuoka siblings were talking in another corner.
The Iwatobi boys went to the changing room. Most of them,anyway,Haru was wearing his swimsuit under his uniform.

Ginger boy looked up and spotted me.

Oh boy.

"MynameisMomotarouMikoshibaareyouafriendofGousan's?You'recutejustlikeheran-----" Ginger boy chanted.
Who knows what he was talking about. Is this some kind of ritual?

"Shut up,Ginger,or I'll learn a few tricks from your captain." I folded my arms,casting a look of sour displeasure at him. Ginger boy was taken aback.

Ah.
So I may have been too blunt.

My mouth twitched. I opened it to say something.
I flicked my eyes to the side, thinking about what to say and adjusting the strap of my bag,which was cutting painfully into my shoulder.

"Myhobbyiscatchingstagbeetlesandireallylikegirlswhoarehardtogetjustlikeyouwhatsyourname"

So I have nothing to worry about.

"Shouldn't you be swimming right now?" I asked,squinting my eyes at Mr Ginger while gathering my hair into a high ponytail.
He gave an "oh" and immediately nodded his head vigorously,then turned,slipping and sliding on the wet tiles.

The Iwatobi swimmers exited the changing room,in their swimsuits. Shark boy ended his conversation with his sister and Kou skipped over to me. I was still awkwardly pressing my back to the wall beside the door,not sure where I stand in this scene.

Third Person POV

A tall,well built swimmer climbed out of the pool and draped a towel onto his right shoulder. He had dark hair and cold teal eyes.
Ren analyzed him curiously as Kou ran up,greeting him warmly. The two knew each other. That hair and those eyes...
Ren noticed.

Kou suddenly beckoned to Ren,who moved over robotically,still studying the dark-haired swimmer.
His eyes widened a little.

"Ren,this is So-" Kou began,but was cut off by Ren.

"Sousuke Yamazaki." Ren tilted her head a little,and couldn't help but knowingly crack the tiniest of smiles.

"How did you know my name?" Sousuke questioned suspiciously. Kou looked on,puzzled.

Ren only shook her head serenely,lifted her hands and covered her ears.
Sousuke seemed to have understood something.

"Ren." He answered simply.
"Eh? Are you friends?" Kou,confused,looked at Sousuke for an explanation.
"You can say that. This girl--"
Ren,as though struck by a bolt of lightning,unfurled her folded arms and slacked a hand over Sousuke's mouth,alarmed.

"It's...complicated." Ren fired a vague excuse at Kou. Sousuke yanked on the end of Ren's ponytail,who yelped in pain,withdrawing her hand in a flash.

"No it's quite straightforward really." Sousuke argued,quite calmly.
"You see..."