XI: Welcome to Hemming

Noah

Awaiting us at the harbor was a horse drawn cart, big enough to fit my three companions and our luggage, but not much else.

"Thank you for the cart." I tell the man dressed in more common attire.

"Of course. At the end of your trip be sure to bring it back, you hear?"

"Yes, sir."

I return to the trio, getting to the front seat meant for the horseman, and we were off.

"This is one of the last times we will ever have Noah serving us." Ramos comments.

"Can we even call him that without being disrespectful?" Samara counters.

"Does he look like a "Royal Highness" or more of a "Majesty" to either of you?" Roman questions.

"Please, he used to be one of us. I think we address him by his title and call it day." Samara scoffs, causing the two bastards to chuckle.

"I hate every last one of you." I snap.

This, of course, causing the three mistakes to laugh even harder and I glower at the road ahead.

Luckily my parents home in Hemming was only an hours journey from the harbor because a moment longer and I may have killed that wretched trio.

I hop down from my perch on the bench and head straight for the front door to the home, leaving them to unpack themselves.

Rapping my knuckles on the wood, I am shocked to get an immediate response.

"How may I- Noah! You've gotten so big!" my mother exclaims, throwing her arms around me.

"Hello mum. I'm sorry for not sending notice ahead of time. I've brought a few friends if you don't mind."

"Of course not. Come in!"

I looked around the home and smiled. It was much bigger than their original dwelling, as I sent a majority of my earnings from the castle over, and my brothers managed to become brilliant lawyers and opened up a firm.

I hear a thud behind me and turn to see Ramos and Roman setting down the trunks in the foyer.

"A little help would have been appreciated."

"I got us here, and you expected me to unload too?"

He rolls his eyes, dropping the subject.

"Wow. This place is amazing. Not the castle of course, but I didn't expect it to look like this." Samara says awe-filled, looking around the house.

"Noah!" my dad says in greeting, clapping me on the shoulder.

Mom returns and guides us all to a few spare rooms and we spend some time settling down and unpacking.

After I finish, I open up a window shocked to see a pigeon fly in.

The bird looks at me curiously, strutting across the window perch, two pieces of parchment tied to one of its legs.

I pull both of them off and read the second one.

William sent a message from Malired to you. I haven't read it, I promise. ~Nana

The first one still held the King's seal, so she really hasn't opened it, which is surprising, but I appreciate her restraint either way.

My love,

As promised, I've sent word back to tell you that I reached Malired unharmed. I wish I could have brought you with me, but it would have been inappropriate to let another kingdom meet you before our own has. It pains me to be away after just finding you, but I take comfort in knowing you're back at the castle where I know you're protected.