XXXVIII: Harpies

Noah

"No! Doyen Cyan you listen to me! This deal that you have presented to us is shit. My mate has been trained for years to just let you down easy, but I have not. Your advisors asked us to come here to help you, but I don't know what they wanted us to help you with. Was it this bill, or getting your life together?" I fumed.

My outburst took even William by surprise.

"I beg your pardon-"

"You shouldn't be begging my pardon, you should be begging your people for forgiveness. They deserve a leader, not a coward who hides behind his stone castle walls with his feathers plucked." I state.

"I will not be disrespected by a peasant in royal clothing!" Cyan snaps.

Chandler rose to the surface, and I knew that if I had a mirror, my irises would be blazing amethyst.

"I am your king. You will respect me." I command. "I've been a ruler for six months, and I am already doing a better job than you have in twenty years. Doyen, I present to you an ultimatum. Either you get your act together, or I will force you to step down."

"My only heir is Sierra-"

"So what I am hearing is that there is someone within your bloodline to replace you."

"She's female-"

"Louis, I am raising your position to commander. I want you and fifteen troops stationed here. Make sure Sierra is well versed in combat, get her a governess to make sure she's knowledgeable about her domain, and I want weekly updates. Report if the change I want happens, and if it doesn't within two months, make sure that she takes that throne. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, sir."

"To all of you?" I question, raising a brow.

"Yes, King Noah."

"Meeting adjourned."

I watch as everyone files out of the room until only my mate and I remain, and I slump into a leather chair.

William's mouth opened, and I put a hand up.

"No talking. Just silence and comforting." I tell him.

He gives me a look but sighs picking me up, then placing me into his lap. I nuzzle into his chest and just focus on his breathing.

"Was I too rash?" I ask, after a moment.

"I don't think so. The outburst just took us by surprise. The man was frustrating but workable. The rest of us wouldn't have lost our temper, and tried to persuade him with reason."

"Persuading a man like him with reason would have done nothing more than tire is out." I scoff.

"Just- Next time make sure you consult me before deploying troops."

"I'll try."

"I will be seeing you tonight yes?" William questions.

Lately, our schedules have taken a divergence from one another. While I had the next two hours free, William had a few more meetings to attend to, and during his free hours, I would be in meetings of my own. It's upsetting really. We have meals together, an occasional meeting, and then fall asleep without much one on one interaction. Meals are short. Only fifteen minutes most times.