XXXIX: Bacchus' Clan

Noah

What comes to mind when you think of the wine god Dionysus?

Is it his Roman counterpart, Bacchus? The parties? How he inspires creativity? Is it that he was born from his father's calf?

I'll tell you, looking at this pod of mermaids that called themselves Bacchus' Clan, seeing a bunch of polygamous mated pairs is not what I expected. I've never seen so many triple pairings.

Mermaids and sirens are perhaps the most progressive of us all. They never stuck to the patriarchal pack types as the rest of us. They believed in equal footing. Those in power, even if born into it, had to prove from the moment they are born that they are worthy of keeping it.

Being born with a birth mark to set one apart is seen as desirable. Mermaids relished in attributes that could accentuate ones beauty. Sirens loved anything that could catch an enemy off guard. Mermaids are too kind hearted to write off defects, so they have pushed the most ahead in treatments and accommodations.

This pod's Doyen (as harpy, siren, and mermaid leaders are called), told me that they had an abundance of those born without a true mate. Solī animī. Lonely souls. Second chance born.

Many pairings in this pack decided to take on a solus animus. Some multiple. From what the Doy (female Doyen) has told me, their adult pack members get quite close with one another. Many couplings pairing with another. I shiver, not wanting to picture such. I could never share William. These people have a secureness in their matings that I lacked.

"What were to happen, if hypothetically, one were to engage in such activities without the knowledge of their mate, or perhaps someone attempted to separate another pairing?" I question.

"Torture and execution." the Doy said with a vengeance. "Between you and I, Doyen Emmanuel is a replacement for my former mate."

"Who was his executioner?"

"Why Emmanuel of course. I caught them bedding one another without either  knowledge, and while I was moved to anger I was captivated by Emmanuel's beauty. Turns out Emmanuel seduced my mate, so I executed James for his weakness, and punished my dearest in one swoop. He knows better than to test me after I forced him to dig the grave as well. He worked hard to go back into my good graces. Dimitri still needs a little more convincing, though."

Nana might love this woman, I decided.

I spare a glance to Dimitri who was a few paces in front of us speaking with William.

A merman stops in front of the pair before us, whispering to his Doyen. I could practically feel the anger pouring off of the sea witch like a tidal wave. William turns back and gives me a look and I shrug. I turn to Danielle who's eyes have misted before coming back, hot embers brining behind her irises.

"What's going on?" I question.

"It's Emmanuel." she states. "Something's happened. Someone's touched what isn't theirs."

She sounded down right terrifying.

Next thing I know, William and I stand off to the side at the front of the Doyen's home, where a few men have a man pinned to the ground, magic restraining gloves on his hands.

A tearful man rushes towards Dimitri and Danielle, allowing them to envelope him, in an embrace.

Slowly we approach.

"[...] hurt you? How did he get in the house?" Dimitri asked.

"I-I was in the kitchen. I heard knocks, and assumed you'd sent him with a message for me. Instead, he restrained me with his magic, and tried to rape and murder me. He kept saying how I should have died and not James."

Danielle looked displeased at this.

"You aren't from this pack. You had no idea about James' love life. James knew what he was doing, presenting himself as an unmated second born." she growls.

Dimitri nods at this.

"My kings, I'm sorry you have to see this." Dimitri states.

My brows knit in confusion before I turn around to see Dimitri demand the intruder be positioned on his knees. The Doyen placed his hands on the man's face, and a putrid stench filled the air. The man gave out a scream, before Dimitri finally let go, revealing the burnt flesh below where his hands were.

"Send him a healer, and put him in my personal dungeon." the Doyen orders.

The men nod, dragging him off.

I turn my attention to Danielle who is holding back Emmanuel.

"No! You can't just kill him." the third leader of this pod insists.

Dimitri's angry eyes found him and he stalked towards him, causing the more submissive male into silence as he got close to his face.

"I can, and I will. He tried to defile you within our own home, over a fool who simply chased after the nearest dick to fill him or hole to plunge into." Dimitri growls out. "You're mine. No one else, not even Danielle, will be able to save you from that fate. You won't be able to leave this pack land, leave this earth unless I want you to."

"Yes, Doyen." Emmanuel says, looking scared, but also blushing at the public proclamation.

Danielle on the other hand, looks mildly annoyed at the comment made.

"Oh please. If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't have even claimed him. I have more rights to him than you do." she scoffs.

I look to William, and despite he craziness, I knew we both didn't have regrets on coming here.

In the coming days I learned why they called themselves Bacchus' clan.

The children treated us to a beautiful performance, followed by a festive party celebrating those who have recently gotten their tales. They had their own grape vines, and their wind was divine, most definitely blessed by their patron god himself.

We enjoyed ourselves more than our other stops. Being here felt less business and more vacation than anything.

The only stressful situation was the constant pressure to appoint more members to my council, and William's letters. Since I found it, it's as if his second box has gone missing, as if it never existed. He still received the odd letter, but Enzo didn't seem as tense as previously. Chandler still suspected something was up, but we didn't have much to go off of.

By the time we had to depart, I found a few more candidates for my councils, and made good friends with Danielle and her mates.

"What is your next destination?" Danielle questions me, leading me out to the carriage.

"Another pod not too far from here. White Mountain." I reply.

Her face contorts in complete and utter distaste.

"Those boards? I pray the Goddess brings your heat after visiting them and not during." she states.

Before I got the chance to question her, William pulled me to the carriage, leaving me enough time for a quick hug and rushed reply.

Still, on our trip over there, her words haunted me.