XXVI: Rides and Swords

Noah

"Pay attention!" Nana snaps, slamming her hands on the table before me.

William and I stayed up especially late the past week mapping out the kingdom tour we are supposed to begin as soon as I'm coronated.

"I apologize." I reply, rubbing at my eyes.

"Your mating ritual is tomorrow. William has been learning the ritual's words since he was a baby. You've had a month. Have you drafted your vows?"

My eyes widen.

"I have to make up my own vows?" She sighs out in exasperation. "What? This entire time I was under the impression that we were reciting the words verbatim from the vows in Hera's text."

"Most times the royals use the royal vows only but you are also to make one to reflect your love for one another to the kingdom. The lords and kings from other nations, not just our closest allied, will be there to bear witness. The press however will also be there to act as the kingdom's eyes."

"Why can't I just speak from the heart without my vows memorized?"

"Noah, you are to be the first male non-full shifter to rule in this kingdom. If you don't prepare for this event, they will criticize you."

I sigh out, putting my head in my hands.

"Olivia!" I call out, straightening my posture, lifting my head off of the desk.

The thing I probably hated the most about my up and coming position was the appearances that had to be kept.

"Yes, Your Grace?" the serving girl replies, walking away from her post.

"Please have Rachel get Midnight ready within the hour."

She bows her head in understanding, going off to do as told.

"You're going out for a ride before finishing your preparations?" Nana questions distaste evident in her tone.

I walk over to my satchel, pulling out my notebook.

"I'll start it now as she prepares the horse and I can bring a quill and an inkwell with me. I need to clear my head otherwise I won't be able to finish this before supper."

I was trying in vain to write my vows for ten minutes before Olivia stepped in to tell me the stallion was prepared.

I cap the inkwell, placing it in my satchel along with my notebook and quill, and was off.

I trotted to a stop at a waterfall, a ways into then woods, letting Midnight get a drink as I unmounted, sitting on a large rock to try and right my vows once again.

Hours later, I finally finished a draft I liked and then I got onto Midnight once again, riding back to the castle.

Coming back, I see the royal guard about to be deployed, their faces looking stressed, as if nonstop orders were being barked through their link. Maybe they were.

I got closer to them and their heads all whip towards me, some of them breathing out a sigh of relief. Roman trots closer to me, seeming to be the most relieved out of all of his team.

"The King put together a search party for you. There was an attempted breach in castle security, a few rogue members of the resistance to the crown came in. They have been captured and are being questioned at this moment. He feared for the worst when he reached out to you in the link with no response."