XXX: Coronation

Noah

"When you hear the organ, walk in. William will be at the end of the aisle, sitting before his throne, an empty one beside him, and a smaller empty one at the center of them both."

The empty throne for a child. One that we would be pressured to find as soon as that crown is placed on my head. I feel anxious. This was more nerve-wracking than anything else I've done.

"Who is in there?" I question.

"Our extended family, your family, the nobility, and a few royals who are prepared to give well wishes."

I take a deep breath, breathing out.

"You'll do just fine," Clarissa tells me, fixing my jacket.

I nod, the piercing sound of the organ playing hitting my eardrums.

The doors before me are pulled open and I begin my walk down the aisle, eyes on me.

William looked at me expectantly, his official cloak dawning his shoulders attached by a thunderbolt broach, crown sitting perfectly on his brown locks, his staff gripped tightly in his right hand, the symbol of guidance, and a golden goblet in his left, a symbol of servitude. He held a certain strength to him dressed like this.

I stop before the Priest of Zeus and my mate awaiting instruction.

"State your name." the priest demands.

"Noah Bartholomew Matthews."

"Noah Bartholomew Matthews with all clear consciences and hearts, we will proceed with this ceremony. Do you promise to lead the people with grace and wisdom, into a brighter age?"

"I do."

"Do you promise to serve the people's needs, dispelling any greed or selfish temptation?"

"I do."

"I give you this cup to signify these promises. If they are broken, may you be struck by lightning." the priest grabs the staff from a hand servant, placing it within my grasp.

"May Zeus guide me so that I may guide them," I reply.

"Do you promise to keep our king level headed?"

"I do."

"Do you promise to be able to forgo the bounds of your bond with him if it is within best interests of this kingdom?"

"I do."

"Even knowing that this may entail you betraying him, possibly having to send him off to be killed, you make the people this promise?"

I take a deep breath. The magnitude of such a promise was heavy. Not a question to be mindlessly agreed upon, one that took a second of hesitation but not a second too long.

"I do."

"I give you this cane to signify your protection over our people."

"May I ward off any predator who tries to tear apart our flock."

"If the Olympians have an objection may it be made known." his voice echoes across the temple as silence consumes it, nothing moving. "Noah Bartholomew Matthews Carter, it is with the greatest honor that I bestow this crown and cloak upon you. May your rule be strong and true."

I bow, feeling the weight of the crown being placed upon my head, and a cloak being wrapped around my shoulders, straightening my posture once they both settle, careful not to come up too quickly so that the crown doesn't fall.