XXXIV: Dealings and that Damned Enfield (Natus Part Two)

Noah

"King Reding from the Fae Kingdom to the east is causing quite the stir. He's concerned about the growing number of fairy grounds in this kingdom and isn't confident in our assurances that all hunting has been put to a stop, and that none of them are being abused." Robin explains, looking frustrated about the situation at hand.

Asher looks down right pissed at it.

"He had the gall to insult my care taking of my own fairy gardens, and even went as far as the question my family's raising of them over the generations. My late father and his family line cared for those gardens for centuries, the only reason for its eventual ruin was their untimely deaths and attempts to keep it away from predators. I've even appointed a fae to watch over them. As if those little shits would even allow abuse. Have you seen a pissed off fairy? They aren't fucking cute anymore, they are terrifying and mischevious. It's like witches being protective of pixies. Those little fuckers don't need our support. If somebody messes with them they die before they can leave the gardens." the hybrid huffs.

"See the difference between pixies and fairies are that pixies will steal your child, and fairies are simple minded and will help you out for just being kind to them." Winston points out, getting a glare from his mate.

He throws his hands up in defense.

"He has a point, Ash. Fairies may have more magic than the sprites or the pixies, but they are easier trusting. Their anger is often times misguided as well. Your fairy, Brent, almost decapitated me because he got jealous I touched you." Robin says, siding with Winston.

Asher gapes, unsure of how to respond in rebuttal. 

"Asher we all know how much you love the little creatures, we do. You wanted to have several fairy gardens and we had to compromise and give you the biggest one. Now you've expanded it, and it not only has fairies but sprites and pixies living in it. It's a miniature country now, and if I get a fucking letter from their parliament making demands, I will lose my head." Winston says before Asher can get a word in.

I exchange a look with William at this. 

"Isn't it difficult at times? Juggling all of these deals with other nations in order to keep the peace here?" I question.

"Gods yes, and there's three of us. If we had a prominent sea shifter and caster population on top of all these land ones, I think I would implode during open court meetings." Robin confesses.

"Honestly, sometimes we invite Ramsey and Kyrenia over just to let off steam as they are in a similar position. The hardest part of this all is that we need to make our allies like each other, or have a certain mutualism at the very least."

"We should break for lunch, continue discussions on alliances tomorrow. We've already gone through breakfast and lunch." Winston sighs out.

"We've discussed a lot. Gotten a few deals finalized from last time. That's more progress than I had been expecting." William says.

With that, the five of us part ways from the study, having spent the majority of our day in there. 

"That was your first foreign meeting as king," William states as we walk.

"It is more draining than I expected."

He nods in agreement.

"This is tamer than most. Some are all out screaming matches that end with both parties downing some rum and finally making progress," he reveals.

I didn't know how I would handle that, but I could cross that bridge once I came to it. We only had another day here. A day to discuss the most dreaded topic, the one we have been skitting around the entire meeting. Hazelwrenn.