Chapter 1

I thank the baker as I grab Jake's birthday cake off of the counter and exit the bakery. Today is Jake's 17th birthday and his second birthday with Kelly and I. It's been a crazy two years but I wouldn't change a thing.

When I arrive at my car I carefully place the cake on the passenger seat and start the car. I then drive to the apartment and park in my parking space. I quickly grab the cake and rush inside to escape the frigid February 7th air. When I arrive in the apartment I place the cake in the fridge and then remove my coat. I share a quick kiss with Kelly and then I say, "Jake still has no idea about the surprise party, right?"

Kelly nods and says, "He had no clue. Kylie came over and they went to a movie together just like we planned so they won't be back until six. By that time everything will be ready and Jake's friends as well as the 51 family will be here hiding, ready to surprise him."

I smile and say, "It's perfect. Jake is going to love it."

Kelly nods and then I begin to help him put up balloons and streamers. Once that's done we prepare different types of food for the party and then put them in the fridge for later. As Kelly puts out the presents that we got for Jake I write a note to him explaining how Kelly and I went out to pick up food and will be back soon. I tape it to the front door and then Kelly and I both do a couple last minute preparations.

In no time at all everyone has arrived and is happily chatting amongst themselves. A few minutes later I get a text from Kylie that says, "We're five minutes away. Jake still has no idea so be ready."

I send a quick reply and then go stand on one of our kitchen chairs. I then clear my throat and yell, "Hey everyone!"

Everyone is quick to turn their attention to me so I say, "First of all, thank you all for coming and making Jake's 17th birthday extra special. Now, Jake and his girlfriend Kylie will be here in five minutes so please find a spot to hide where he won't be able to see you from the door. As soon as the lights come on, that's when we'll surprise him. Got it?"

Everyone nods and disperses to find a hiding spot. I turn off the lights and then we wait.

---------------------------------

Thanks so much for 64 reads! I hope you all had a great Christmas with family! -Becca