Chapter 8

I smile at Kelly as he takes a seat beside me in a waiting room chair of the doctor's office. I lean on his shoulder and he kisses the top of my head. I smile and then he says, "I'm glad I made it. We were out on a call and I was afraid I'd miss your first ultrasound."

I chuckle and say, "I would've made the doctor wait. You are not missing this."

Kelly laughs and then a nurse calls me back. Kelly and I both follow her and soon we're seated in a private room. I lean against him again and then he says, "You know, squad just isn't the same without you."

I laugh and say, "Well of course you would think that, I'm your wife."

Kelly shakes his head and says, "I'm serious. The guys agreed with me when I said that we didn't work as efficiently without you."

I chuckle and am about to reply when my doctor, Dr. Hanna, walks in. She smiles at us and then takes a seat at her computer. Once she's pulled up my file she says, "So Quinn, how have you been feeling?"

"Good. My morning sickness seems to be clearing up but I have been a little more tired and stressed because we're getting closer to moving."

She nods and says, "Right. Make sure that you don't move anything yourself on moving day as it could put too much stress on you and the baby."

I nod and then she glances at my mid-section and says, "You've grown quite a bit in the last month!"

Kelly and I both chuckle and then I say, "I have. It seems like the baby gets bigger and bigger every day."

Dr. Hanna nods and says, "Well, growth is always a good sign. Now, your file tells me that you have had a miscarriage before so I will be looking for a heartbeat today as well during the ultrasound. If you could please hop up on the table for me, we'll have a look."

I nod and Kelly and I both stand. He helps me onto the table and then as he moves his chair I lie down. Kelly grabs my hand as the doctor sets up the machine. Once she's ready she turns off the lights and lifts my shirt. She squirts the gel on my stomach and then begins to move the wand around. Kelly and I both smile as we see our baby for the first time. Those smiles soon fade as soon as we notice Dr. Hanna moving the wand around more frantically on my middle. She must notice me tense up because she says, "So far I can't find a heartbeat but I'm not giving up yet."

I swallow, trying to clear the lump in my throat, but to no avail. I can't help but let a couple of tears fall at the strong sense of déjà vu from my last pregnancy. Kelly sees this and tightens his grip on my hand. He's about to whisper something to me when the sound of the baby's heartbeat fills the silent room. All three of us heave a sigh of relief and Kelly wipes my tears away. I smile and then Dr. Hanna finishes up the appointment and Kelly and I leave the office.