Chapter 4

Kelly and I walk up to the firehouse hand in hand. He squeezes me hand even tighter and then says, "Are you ready to tell everyone the news?"

I chuckle nervously and say, "Definitely not. At least telling Boden first will make it a little bit easier."

Kelly agrees and then we enter the firehouse and make our way to the change room. Once we've dropped our stuff off we join hands again and head towards Boden's office. When we arrive he immediately tells us to take a seat and then says, "What's going on? I know the two of you wouldn't be here unless it was important."

I take a deep breath and turn to Kelly. He clears his throat and says, "We're expecting a baby. Quinn is about a month along. We just had the doctor's appointment to confirm everything yesterday. The doctor suggested that because of the nature of the job, we tell everyone right away since the job does but Quinn and the baby at a higher risk."

Chief smiles and says, "Well this is great news. Congratulations! Now, if it's May and you're already a month along, you'll be due sometime in January, correct?"

I nod and say, "Yes it is. This will be my last shift until after the baby is born and I'm cleared to go back."

He nods and then asks, "Do you have a job arranged yet for in the meantime?"

I shake my head and say, "I was planning to go down to headquarters tomorrow and see if they had an academy class I could teach, or something similar."

Chief nods and after thinking for a moment says, "Why don't you stay at the firehouse? Whenever Kelly is on shift you can come in and help around here if you'd like."

Kelly and I smile at each other and then I reply, "I'd love that. Thank you Chief."

He nods and then Kelly and I exit his office. We make our way to the common room and when we arrive we see that everyone is already there. When we walk in everyone turns to look at us and then Hermann says, "The Severide's are together. This can't be good."

Everyone laughs and then Kelly says, "We have some big news to share."

Everyone's attention is quickly turned to us so I say, "We're expecting so this will be my last shift until after the baby is born. I'm about one month along so that baby will be born sometime in January."

The group stays in a sort of stunned silence but then Dawson, Kidd, and Brett all squeal in unison and jump up to give me a huge hug. A couple of the guys slap Kelly on the back and then everyone congratulates us. I can't help but smile at the fact that we really are a second family here at 51.

----------------------------

Hey guys! Thanks for 811 reads! -Becca