[Two]

FAMILY DINNERS AND MORNING BUS RIDES

"I'm home!" Jim called as he walked through the front door.

"You didn't say it right, Pop, you have to go, Honey, I'm home!" Alex joked, not taking her eyes off her textbook.

"Ah, damn, just one word short. I'll have to work on it." Jim rolled his eyes, leaning over the back of the couch to peck his daughter's cheek. "Where's your mom?"

"Kernel Clink is in the kitchen cooking her ass off. I've been banished to the living room since I walked through the front door, I'm starving." Alex groaned.

"Oh God. The only time your mother banishes people out of the kitchen to cook is when she has to give bad news." Jim said, placing his hands on his hips and staring at the now closed kitchen door. "Did she say anything to you?"

"No, but she seemed a little weird when she came in. She said something about a special dinner...?"

"Oh yeah, something is definitely wrong." Jim said, nodding slowly as Melissa emerged from the kitchen.

"Hey, honey. Welcome home." Melissa smiled, pecking her husband's lips.

"Hey, babe. Is uh, is everything okay?"

"Of course! Why do you ask?"

"Well, normally you don't banish people from the kitchen when you're cooking unless something is wrong or you need to give bad news." Jim said slowly, watching is wife's facial expression carefully.

"Well, there might be a tiny bit of bad news."

"Oh my God, Dad was right, the world is ending. Pack your bags, we have to get to the shelter!" Alex said dramatically.

"You, I'm ignoring." Jim said, pointing a finger at his daughter before turning back to his wife. "What's the news?"

Melissa sighed. "Okay, fine. I was going to wait until dinner but I guess now is as good a time as any."

"What's going on, Mom?" Alex questioned, looking up at her mother.

"Well, the good news is Rory got into Chilton!" Melissa smiled.

"Oh my God!" Alex squealed, springing from the couch and onto her feet.

"High pitch, so loud.." Jim said, pressing a hand to his ear.

"This is so exciting! Rory has been wanting to go there since middle school!" Alex grinned, bouncing on her toes. "But wait, I'm confused. Doesn't that school cost a freaking fortune? How is Aunt Lorelai paying for that?"

"Well, that's where the bad news comes in." Melissa said sheepishly. "See, she couldn't afford it, so she had to go to Grandma and Grandpa, and you know them, there's always some sort of catch."