[Thirteen]

BOYFRIEND OR GENTLEMAN CALLER?

"He's going to say no." Alex said as she walked in between Lane and Rory on her way to the market, her heart pounding fiercely inside her chest. She had promised herself she wasn't going to back down, but now that she was here, walking closer and closer to the moment she'd been dreading all week, she was trying considerably hard to convince herself she'd been crossing her fingers when she made that promise.

"Oh, c'mon." Lane rolled her eyes behind the round frames of her glasses. "Why would he say no?"

"Um, why would he say yes?" Alex asked, her eyebrows shooting up in question.

Rory sighed, linking arms with the blonde. "Lex, listen to me. What is the point in having a boyfriend if you can't get him to go to the dance with you?"

"He's not my boyfriend." Alex said, linking her other arm through Lane's.

Lane snorted. "Really?"

"Yes!"

"What is he then?"

"He's my...gentleman caller."

Rory rolled her eyes. "Okay, Blanche."

Alex sighed. "I don't know what he is, but he's not my boyfriend." She paused for a minute, her brow furrowing. "Do you guys think he's my boyfriend?"

"I think you guys spend a lot of time not kissing other people if this isn't a boyfriend/girlfriend thing." Rory said, raising her own eyebrows.

"Girlfriend." Alex said, testing the word slightly.

"You." Lane nodded.

"Boyfriend?" Alex asked, looking over at her cousin.

Rory giggled. "Him. Got that, Tarzan?"

Alex shook her head immediately. "No. No, too weird."

Lane sighed. "Have you guys had the talk yet?"

"Yes, Lane, babies come from the stork." Alex rolled her eyes.

The darker haired girl laughed, shaking her head. "No, not that talk. The other talk."

"The other talk?" The blonde questioned, arching an eyebrow.

"We've been dating a few weeks now. Where do we stand? What are we to each other? If another girl asks you out, do you feel free to go?" Rory listed off, giving her cousin a knowing look. "Need I say more?"