[Nine]

MEETING THE MOTHER?

MEETING THE MOTHER?

"Okay, so the video store is going to close soon, so we need to stick to our list." Alex said as her and Melissa walked down the street to Doose's. It was their annual movie night with Rory and Lorelai and they were on a mission for sweets and Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory - Alex and Rory's favorite movie. "And that means no impulse buying like toothpaste or soap."

"Right. Just teeth rotting junk." Melissa said, raising her eyebrows at her daughter.

"Precisely."

The older woman rolled her eyes, chuckling and shaking her head fondly at her daughter. "You've been hanging around Lorelai way too much." She said, stopping when she realized Alex had frozen in her tracks behind her. "Alex?"

"Um, actually, you know what? Now that I think about it, I think we have plenty of stuff to eat at home." The blonde said, suddenly looking disoriented and nervous.

"Uh, I'm sorry, where do you live? Because I live in a house that had nothing when I left it this morning."

"Don't we have those double stuffed Oreos hidden in the back of the cabinet?"

"Your dad found them."

Alex rolled her eyes. "Of course."

"What's the big deal? We're already here, let's just grab some things and go." Melissa shrugged.

"We're already ordering pizza, Mom, isn't that enough?"

"Are you crazy? First of all, you can't just watch Willy Wonka without candy, okay? It's not right. That and your Aunt Lore will go absolutely nuts if we don't get her some Kit Kats." Melissa said, raising her eyebrows. "We're going in."

"You go ahead then. I'll just wait here." Alex said, still hesitant to go inside.

"What's going on, Ally?" Melissa said, folding her arms over her chest. She watched as Alex's eyes drifted through the window, and she caught sight of Dean, who was working the register. Something seemed to click inside her mind and she smiled, tipping her head at her daughter. "Alex, it's okay."

"It's too weird." Alex said, scrunching her nose up.

"I'm going to have to meet him eventually, you know."

"I know. And you will! Next year."

Melissa rolled her eyes. "Come on. I'll be cool, I promise! No, I won't just be cool - I'll be Joey Tribbiani cool."

Alex groaned. "You know I can't say no to Friends references."

"Exactly." Melissa grinned.

The teenager sighed, shaking her head. "Okay, fine. But there will be no interrogation; No childhood stories, no jokes about Chicago, and no mentioning anything to Dad."