Chapter Six

A couple of weeks passed by and before Hermione knew it, her 19th birthday had popped up out of nowhere. She didn't expect people to do much. Last year she had been on the run while her birthday so they didn't really celebrate it too much and despite their growing friendship, she really didn't think Draco would get her anything. She hadn't even mentioned it was her birthday coming up to him.

Hermione woke in their double bed and didn't feel Draco's arm around her like it usually was. They slept curled up most nights and it somehow seemed to keep Hermione's nightmares away which she was thankful for. But despite it being the weekend, he was never normally awake before her. But as she turned to his side of the bed linen, she found it empty. That was when it hit her. The smell of pancakes being cooked. Her all time favourite thing to eat at breakfast.

Jumping out of bed and grabbing the closest dressing gown she could find, Hermione walked down the stairs of their huge living quarters and walked to the kitchen. As she walked past the living room she could see present in there. He actually knew it was her birthday. She started to walk over to them when she heard his voice ring out.

"You can open those after you've eaten the breakfast that I have made for you." Hermione jumped as she heard Draco's voice. "You know it's my birthday?" She asked in awe. He chuckled and nodded "Yeah Weaselette told me. " Draco smirked as Hermione walked into the kitchen. On the table were mounds of pancakes. She rolled her eyes at Draco. " This is amazing but can't you just call her Ginny?" She asked. Draco once again smirked at her. " I call her Ginny when she's around. I call her Weaselette when she isn't. And thank you although I did have some assistance." He spoke. Hermione looked at him with some confusion. "We have a Malfoy assistant." He said, being very careful with him words but Hermione knew what he was talking about. "A house elf. Draco you know how-" He suddenly put his hand over her mouth. "Before you start with your spew stuff. She's paid and has clothes. I told you that my family changed. We're not evil anymore. My father was the one who was evil." Hermione started eating as Draco spoke. She nodded but looked up "It's S.P.E.W actually. The society for the promotion of elfish welfare." She glared playfully. Draco patted her head. "Okay nerd."

After the amazing breakfast, Draco lead Hermione over to the pile of gifts. "You really didn't need to get me this much Draco. There are at least 5 gifts here." Hermione said in awe as she looked at the presents. "Some are from my mother. When I told her it was your birthday today she told me she wanted to send you something. She's trying to make up for what happened with Bella." He smiles. Hermione didn't know why but she felt a sort of acceptance hearing that Narcissa Malfoy was trying to make amends with her. She saw a note laying on top in a cursive handwriting and opened that first.

Dear Miss Hermione Granger,

I know that you are probably surprised that I am writing to you on your birthday. Truth is I couldn't wait much longer to contact you. After all you will soon be my daughter-in-law. I want you to know that the days of the Malfoy blood prejudice ways are over and you will be welcomed greatly into this family by me. I would like to offer you to come and stay with us during the Christmas break. Us Malfoy's normally have a new year's party and I would love for you to join us for it if you can.

All my love and happy 19th birthday.

Narcissa Malfoy.

"Hermione you're crying." Draco said as he lowered to sit down with her. "She accepts me. I was terrified about your family but this letter. She invited me to your new year's party." Hermione gushed and smiled. Draco nodded. "Well technically, you're a Malfoy now. Well not technically now but in the next year you will be." Draco smiled. "And there is nothing my family can do about it." Hermione then sighed. "How is she? I heard about what happened to Lucius." Draco shook his head. "Today is about celebrating your birthday. Not my life."

Hermione was overwhelmed by the gifts from Draco and his mother. It was almost as if he had known her for a long time. She had gotten some really nice jewellery pieces and clothes. Hermione also received gifts from her parents high made her happy, including some sweets which Draco was more happy about. The last gift was wrapped very nice. She looked at the tag to see who it was from and rolled her eyes. "Seriously Draco. To my insufferable know-it-all. Do you wanna be bunking with Blaise and Luna tonight." She joked. Draco just smirked "You won't be saying that when I talk about what I have planned for you today. Along with your friends." He explained making the brunette girl look up at him in confusion. "You planned stuff for me. Where is that dirty Slytherin that I've known for the past 7 years?" She joked, knowing he had changed but was surprised at how much he had actually changed.

Draco suddenly sat down "I want to talk about the past seven years-" he started but Hermione shook her head "The past seven years weren't you. And I forgive you for it." She smiled, Draco looked up and moved a bit closer. "Promise?" He whispered. Hermione bit her lip and could feel herself going red. "Promise." She said back. Time seemed to freeze as the two leaned towards each other. She could feel his breath on hers. It was perfect until they heard a commotion outside the common room. Draco moved away. "That will be everyone else." He mumbled and stood up. Hermione was left sat there in shock of what just almost happened.

It was a few hours later, Hermione had been blinded using a spell and was being led somewhere by Harry and Ginny. She could hear everyone else who had come behind her. Ron and Pansy were heard arguing as usual, Blaise and Luna were talking about Nargles and then she could hear him too. The blonde haired Slytherin who hadn't left her mind since that morning. She could hear him chuckling every single time she asked where they were taking her. She hadn't apperated so she knew they must be nearby. She guessed probably Hogsmeade.

"Okay come on. She's had this spell on her for long enough." She heard Draco extremely close to her as he mumbled a few words and her sight was instantly given back to her. "SURPRISE!" Yelled everyone. Hermione gasped and looked around. They were in a private room of The Three Broomsticks. It had been decorated very well and a banner hovering above the food table read 'Happy 19th Birthday Hermione.' Harry walked up to the side of her as Hermione shook her head "This is too much guys." She smiled but Harry shook his head. "We were kinda on the run when you had your 18th so this counts as your 18th and 19th." He explained. Ginny then butted in "And you're not allowed to say anything else. You deserve this 'Mione."

It was the best night of her life so far. She loved it. Seeing everyone being so happy with each other. It made her smile that Draco and his friends seemed to have been welcomed into the group. Hermione was so tired by the time her and Draco got back into their flat. She laid down on the sofa and felt herself falling asleep on the sofa in minutes.

A loud bang and yelp woke her from her slumber. She rushed the the kitchen where she saw Draco shooting water at their on-fire microwave. "What happened?" She shouted when he put the fire out. "You said this thing could warm up food. I was trying to do that." Draco defended himself, looking in confusion at why it didn't work. Hermione looked at the remains and saw something shiny. "Draco, this didn't happen to have metal on did it?" She asked with a smile. Draco nodded "Some metal foil. Why?" He asked innocently. Hermione rolled her eyes. "Idiot. You can't put that in a microwave." She laughed again. Draco looked back at her in confusion. "Why not?" Hermione smirked "That's why not" She said, pointing at the burnt microwave before going up to bed, wondering what she had been let into marrying a man who didn't even know how to use a microwave. 

Thanks for reading. Don't forget to Vote, follow me and Comment telling me what you think. I didn't think this story would get even 10 views but it has over a hundred. Thanks again. - Alex xxx