Chapter Twenty Four.

Beep. Beep. Beep. The noise was all that Hermione could hear and it never stopped. She was sat next to Draco's bed as he slept on. He was stable. Still asleep but stable. The doctors and nurses had said that the potion was too weak to kill and when mixed with alcohol had turned even weaker. But it still harmed him and doctors had been working tirelessly for the past two hours to save him.

"Hermione." Narcissa spoke softly to the young girl. Hermione looked up and took the drink that Narcissa was holding "I found a wizard who was selling teas in Diagon Alley. Thought you could do with one." She said. Hermione nodded as she took a sip of it. But just as quick as she had looked away, her eyes were back on her husband. She felt she had been sat there by his side for many hours yet it had only been one. "Have you sent a message to the others?" Narcissa asked after a few more minutes. Hermione shook her head. "I tried. I couldn't cast a patronus. I just couldn't do it. Every happy memory was being replaced by a sad one that he could die. I should tell them." She said quietly. Narcissa shook her head "I'll go to Hogwarts and tell them all. If anything changes please get a healer to send me a message." She pleaded. Hermione nodded "Of course." Before Narcissa half hugged her and then kissed her son's forehead before walking out the room.

Back at the castle, Ron, Pansy, Harry, Ginny, Luna and Blaise were all gathered in the Weasley living Quarters. "They are taking forever at this dinner party." Ginny said sounding worried. It was now almost midnight and there was still no sign of life for the Malfoy's quarters. "Don't stress Ginny. It's not good for the baby." Pansy said as she was reading her pregnancy book. "I'm sure that if something happened we would know." Luna added onto their chats. At that very moment, the door opened and Mcgonagall came running in followed closely by Narcissa Malfoy who looked very worried. "Be calm. Don't freak." Harry mumbled to his very pregnant wife.

Narcissa looked at them all and sighed "You all need to come to St. Mungo's." She said sounding extremely fast and scared "What did he do to Hermione?" Harry asked sounding very angry. Narcissa shook her head and the teenagers could see tears forming in her eyes. "He tried to poison her. But Draco switched the cups and drank out of it. Lucius has been sent back to Azkaban but Draco is in hospital. He's stable but he's still knocked out and we don't know when he's gonna wake up." She said in the same fast voice as before. Everyone gasped as she spoke and they instantly wanted to go be with Hermione which Professor Mcgonagall granted they could leave to go see him.

The friends ran through the corridors to get to Draco's room but then walked in together as they didn't want to scare Hermione. Harry was shocked when he walked in. He had never seen Hermione looking this sad. The girls instantly walked over to her to comfort her by hugging her. Hermione, who had been so strong, finally broke down and started to cry. She had held it in for hours but now somehow seeing her friends had made her lose it all and now the tears were falling. "I thought he was going to die." She whispered into Pansy's ear as they hugged. Pansy smiled and shook her head despite the fact she was crying too. She would blame it on the hormones. "No he's stronger than that." She smiled again. Hermione nodded as they all sat down together.

Hours went by and soon the sun was started to rise again. Ginny had drifted off at around 2am and a lot of the friends had followed. Hermione couldn't though. She couldn't miss the chance for something to happen. It didn't and soon the healers were coming in to make their 6am checks on him. "He's improving. He should be awake soon." One of them told a restless Hermione who just nodded, it was all she had the energy to do. Narcissa had stayed awake too, at the other side of Draco. The women had made small talk throughout the night, nothing serious.

But the hours went on again and before Hermione knew it, everyone was awake and the time had ticked onto midday. She had eaten a little bit, just a biscuit that Harry had bought from a nearby shop with some muggle money he had changed from wizarding money. The rest of the pack that he had given Hermione laid on the table, uneaten.

Hermione didn't know how long the healer had meant when they said he would be waking soon because at 5pm, their friends said that they had to return back to the castle from orders of Mcgonagall. Hermione and Narcissa were soon the only ones left. Hermione reached out and took Draco's hand again after saying goodbye and promising they would keep them posted with updates.

Dinner got brought at 6pm but Hermione couldn't eat. Narcissa did at last eat. She ate all her food and just as she was passing her tray to the healer, Hermione felt it. She felt Draco squeezing her hand and gasped. "He just squeezed my hand." She said, sitting up and becoming very alert. "Come on Draco. You can wake up." She said with a smile. Narcissa had rejoined her at Draco's side at this point and a few moments later, Draco's eyes fluttered open.

The lights were bright on him and he could hear the beeps as his eyes opened. It took him a moment before he smiled at the brunette woman at the side of him and then met the eyes of his mother. "I didn't mean to drink it." He muttered in a hoarse sounding voice. Hermione smiled and looked at him. "Well you did and almost gave me a heart attack." She said in a soft voice. Draco just chuckled "That's probably what he wanted. Where is he?" He then asked, looking at his mother. She stroked his hair and smiled. "Azkaban. Where he can't hurt any of us." She said with a smile.

They walked up the steps of the castle. It had been almost a week since they were in the castle and now finally they were back. The doctors had recommended that Draco stay at Malfoy Manor for a couple of days after he was released from the hospital and Hermione had of course stayed with him. But now they were returning back to Hogwarts for their Farewell ball. Luna and Blaise were getting married in two weeks and they were graduating Hogwarts in three.

"Your collar." Hermione said with a smile as she adjusted his collar. The two had been unsure if they would be able to even attend the ball with the accident. But here they were dressed in a matching suit and dress that was a midnight blue colour. "You ready to surprise all our friends?" He asked as he pressed his lips to hers for a moment. "Of course. Fashionably late as usual." She smiled before taking his hand and walking towards the Great Hall.

As soon as the doors opened, all eyes were on them and the whispers started within seconds. The news of what happened had spread very fast in the wizarding world and everyone had known about what happened. Soon Hermione and Draco were surrounded by their friends who were hugging them. "I thought that you wasn't coming." Pansy said, hitting Draco playfully who moved away from her. "I was poisoned and the first I get from you is a punch. Thanks Pans." Draco said with a typical Malfoy smirk. Pansy shook her head and was soon hugging him instead.

The night was great and Draco and Hermione felt like they couldn't stop dancing. They were enjoying their time together and loving their life while they did.

"You may kiss the bride." Kingsley said as Luna and Blaise embraced and kissed each other. Hermione and Draco watched one with as much happiness inside them as possible. They clapped as their friends walked down the aisle. It had been a quiet wedding with just family and close friends. Luna had wanted it that way. And they had it in the field next to Luna's home. Her dress was of course just as eccentric as Luna and Hermione was in her black and yellow bridesmaid dress while beaming from ear to ear. Soon they would be leaving their home behind and moving on from Hogwarts. And Hermione was more than ready for it. And what her life would be like with Draco by her side.

So he's okay. I mean of course he would be. And I'm updating for the second time this week wow. This isn't the end of the story also. There are going to be a few more chapters but tragically this story is coming to an end. But I wanted to thank you for your continued support on it. It honestly blows me away every time I log in. Please vote and comment on this story if you enjoyed.

See you next time. 

-Alex xxx