Supergirl to the Rescue

Kara smiled down at her phone in her office at CatCo. She was supposed to be working on some editing for a story she was in charge of, but she was texting Lena instead. Kara had sent her a smiley face about ten minutes ago and was surprised to find out that Lena had no idea what emojis were. She had taken it upon herself to educate Lena in the use of her favorites. They continued to correspond. Suddenly, Kara heard a scream coming from about five miles away. She looked down and noticed that Lena hadn't answered her question from a few minutes ago and didn't give an explanation as to why.

Worried, she quickly shed her button up and pulled the rest of her Supergirl gear out of her bag. Within ten minutes, she was in the park right by L-Corp. Sure enough, Lena stood with her hands up, fearfully eyeing a man in a ski mask. He held some kind of gun in his right hand. Kara grabbed the man's shoulder, spinning him around to face her. His eyes widened as he took in who was standing in front of.

"Did you take anything from my friend?"

"N-no, Supergirl. I didn't get anything from her."

Kara saw something that made her blood boil.

"Why is her jaw bleeding?" she asked, trying to remain calm.

"I didn't mean to. I didn't want to hurt her, I'm sorry," the man pleaded.

"Why is her jaw bleeding?" Kara repeated angrily, her voice rising.

Lena spoke up, answering, "He hit me with the barrel of his gun."

The man winced, seeing the rage on Kara's face. She landed a blow on his stomach and he doubled over. She let go of the man as he fell to the ground just as a couple of officers showed up on the scene.

"Take this man to jail," she called to the cops. "Charge him for attempted theft and assault. I'll get you pictures of Miss Luthor's jaw for evidentiary purposes and make sure you keep track of his firearm. If he pleads innocent, I'm more than happy to testify as a witness on Miss Luthor's behalf. I'll escort her back to work, you two are free to go." Kara put her arm around Lena. "Are you ok?"

"A bit shaken, but otherwise alright, thanks," Lena said, trying to smile, but grimacing instead.

"I'll take you back to your office and get you some ice."

"You don't need to worry about me," Lena assured her.

Kara smiled sweetly at her. "I heard that you took care of one of my good friends once, and I intend to return the favor. Now, come on. I think I've attracted some attention."

"I think the fact that we're together has attracted some attention."

Kara smirked, holding the door to L-Corp open for Lena. Lena's secretary looked up, almost as surprised to see Supergirl as she was to see Lena's bloody face. Her eyes widened with curiosity.

"Ms. Luthor, what happened?" the woman asked, her brow furrowing in concern.

"A man tried to steal from me, but he was nothing Supergirl couldn't handle. Would you mind sending some ice up?"

"Of course, Ms. Luthor."

Kara nodded and smiled awkwardly at the secretary, who seemed awestruck in her presence. She still wasn't quite used to people reacting strangely around her. Lena seemed to notice her shyness.

"What's wrong, Supergirl? You seem uncomfortable with the attention. I'd think a superhero would be used to the spotlight."

"Yeah, you'd think," Kara answered halfheartedly. "I'm not big on all the publicity."

"Well, why not?"

"I... Being a hero, you have to be perfect. You have to be the epitome of hope and strength. No one can see your weakness. No one can see you. Supergirl isn't me. I mean, she's definitely a part of me, a huge part, but there's more that I can't share with the media."

"If you're not 100% Supergirl, then who are you?" Lena questioned, her eyebrows arching, almost daring Kara to come clean.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that, Miss Luthor."

Lena smirked. "Worth a shot."

Kara couldn't hide her smile. Something made her grab Lena's hand. The CEO stiffened, but slowly relaxed, holding Kara's hand, but not knowing it was Kara.

"Miss Luthor-" Kara was cut off by Lena.

"You're holding my hand. You can call me Lena."

"Lena," Supergirl, Kara, began anew, smiling this time. "I'm glad to have made such a good friend."

"I'm grateful for our friendship as well," Lena admitted. "You're very easy to talk to, despite the fact that you're treated like a goddess."

Kara blushed and muttered, "I'm not treated like a goddess."

Before Lena could retort with some smart aleck response, the elevator doors opened to the top floor, Lena's office. Kara strolled in behind her and sat down on the small sofa in the corner.

"Ok, you got me here in one piece. You can leave, now."

Kara shook her head. "I'm waiting until you get some ice on that bruised jaw bone. Then I'll leave, I promise."

"Fine," Lena responded, letting the matter drop.

Kara sat on the couch in silence until Lena's assistant handed Lena an ice pack, and then she was off, launching off of Lena's balcony. As soon as she hit the ground, she ducked into an alley and whipped out her phone to call Lena. It rang only twice before Lena picked up.

"Hello, Kara. Good to hear from you, as always."

"Lena! Are you ok?" she asked, pretending to be panicked. "My sister told me what happened and I had to check in on you."

"I'm fine, don't worry. I've got a sore jaw, that's all."

"Ok, well, call me if you need anything."

The two said goodbye and hung up, Kara's heart feeling a little lighter. There was just something about Lena Luthor that made her feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Was it her dark hair that flowed down her shoulders and framed her face, contrasting with her emerald eyes in the most perfect way? Or perhaps the hard set determination to prove she was not like the rest of her family, that a Luthor could be good? Or maybe just the way that she seemed to light up when Kara walked in the room. Kara liked the way that she was able to make someone so happy. But something told her that she needed Lena as much as Lena needed her.